Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




TERROR WARS
'3,000 European jihadis' now in Syria, Iraq
by Staff Writers
Brussels (AFP) Sept 23, 2014


British Muslim group takes on IS jihadists on Twitter
London (AFP) Sept 23, 2014 - As international military action builds up against the Islamic State, a British Muslim association is taking on the jihadists through Twitter with the campaign #notinmyname.

The push by the Active Change Foundation includes a video of young people and its director, Hanif Qadir, speaking out against extremism and holding up placards with the hashtag.

"Young Muslims are adding their voices to the fight-back against ISIS," the association said on its website, using a name for the Islamic State group that is widely used in Britain.

"Let your voice be heard rejecting the ideology of hate," it said, accusing the group of "hiding behind a false Islam".

The video, which has been shared more than 83,000 times on YouTube, begins with a young woman in a colourful headscarf saying: "ISIS do not represent Islam or any Muslim."

It follows with responses from a variety of young people including one man in a suit and tie saying, "Because what you're doing is inhumane," and another man in a T-shirt and a jacket saying, "Because they're killing innocent people."

"Because you have no compassion," Qadir himself says.

The campaign is one of several that have cropped up on Twitter against Islamic State, including one with the hashtag #BurnISISFlagChallenge -- a take on the popular Ice Bucket Challenge featuring the IS group's black flag being set alight.

Azerbaijan arrests 26 over alleged fighting for IS group
Baku (AFP) Sept 23, 2014 - Azerbaijan has arrested 26 people who allegedly fought for the Islamic State militants, the ex-Soviet republic's security ministry said Tuesday.

The men were arrested for "setting up... illegal armed groups and supplying them with weapons" in Pakistan, Syria and Iraq with some of them fighting alongside the Islamic State jihadists, the ministry said.

Some of them first joined Taliban-affiliated groups in Pakistan and then moved to Syria, while others arrived in Syria from Turkey, the ministry said, without detailing when the arrests were made.

The United States and Arab allies this week launched strikes against IS militants in the first foreign intervention in Syria since the start of the conflict.

Media in the predominantly Muslim but secular Azerbaijan have previously reported numerous cases of citizens from the ex-Soviet Caucasus nation fighting in the Syrian conflict, including within the Jaish al-Muhajireen wal Ansar group consisting mostly of Islamists from the former Soviet Union.

The number of Europeans joining Islamist fighters in Syria and Iraq has jumped by a third to around 3,000 in a few months, the EU counter terrorism chief said Tuesday.

In an exclusive interview with AFP, Gilles de Kerchove said the flow of Europeans may have been boosted by the Islamic State militant group's declaration in June of a caliphate straddling Syria and Iraq.

"My own assessment is that we're about 3,000," he said when asked how many European fighters have flocked to the extremists' cause.

In June, he said there were 2,000 such fighters from Europe.

"The flow has not been dried up, and therefore possibly the proclamation of the caliphate has had some impact," de Kerchove said.

His comments came hours after the United States and its Arab allies unleashed deadly strikes from land and sea on jihadists in Syria, opening a new front in the battle against the Islamic State group.

The European fighters, he said, come mainly from France, Britain, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark but a few come from Spain, Italy, Ireland and now Austria.

"Even a country like Austria I think has now foreign fighters, which I was not aware of before," he added.

The EU counter-terrorism coordinator nonetheless said he would check his figures with those of European security service chiefs in the next couple of weeks, saying their numbers may be more conservative.

He estimated that between 20 and 30 percent have now returned to their home countries. Some have resumed a normal life while others are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. But some have become radicalised and dangerous, he warned.

He said EU countries will prosecute militants if they have evidence they have joined a radical organisation, and will discreetly monitor those for whom they have no evidence.

"The challenge is for each member state to assess each and every returnee, assess their dangerousness and provide the adequate response," de Kerchove said.

He welcomed the expected adoption Wednesday of a UN Security Council resolution designed to make it a criminal offence to go abroad to train for or fight in a holy war.

"The draft (resolution) is really addressing the right questions. But it's of course up to each state and group of states, in our case 28, to go deeper into this," he said.

In some cases, European countries may be more advanced as they have been tackling the problem for longer.

He backed French draft legislation which allows the interior minister to withdraw passports from individuals when there is sufficient intelligence -- rather than evidence -- that they are travelling for jihad.

- 'Lone wolf' risk -

The EU itself boosted security this week after reports that jihadists returning from Syria were planning to target the European Commission building in Brussels.

De Kerchove said much of the reason so many Europeans were able to fight in Syria was because of neighbouring Turkey's proximity to Europe and its role as a mass tourism destination.

On the other hand, Europeans wanting to travel to fight in Afghanistan, Mali, Yemen and Somalia faced geographic obstacles, greater costs and even hotter environments.

Despite the difficulties, the Turks are arresting and sending back many European citizens, he said.

"More needs to be done, that's true. But we work together. And I'm not at all in a blaming game," he said.

"We understand the difficulty of the Turks. We have an excellent dialogue, and we explore together how we can work more closely together," he added.

He said he did not expect well-organised large-scale attacks like those of September 11, 2001.

"But the lone wolf with a Kalashnikov may do a lot of damage," he said.

He expected the risk of retaliatory attacks against Europeans to rise after France joined the United States in carrying out air strikes against jihadis in Iraq.

.


Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





TERROR WARS
Damascus says was informed by US of air strikes on IS
Damascus (AFP) Sept 23, 2014
The Damascus government said it had been informed by Washington of the air strikes it began early Tuesday on Islamic State group (IS) targets on Syrian soil. "Yesterday (Monday), the Americans informed the Syrian representative at the United Nations that strikes would be carried out against the terrorist IS organisation in Raqa," the group's Syrian stronghold, a foreign ministry statement qu ... read more


TERROR WARS
3D imaging may improve understanding of biofuel plant materials

Ethanol fireplaces: the underestimated risk

ACCESS II Confirms Jet Biofuel Burns Cleaner

Scientists create renewable fossil fuel alternative using bacteria

TERROR WARS
Cutting the cord on soft robots

iRobot supplying its PackBots to Canada

Watch MIT's Atlas robot carry heavy objects

DARPA issues RFI for robotic space services for satellites

TERROR WARS
RWE Innogy gets new British wind energy running

Moventas to service two turbines in Eesti Energia's Aulepa wind park

Wind Turbines Outperforming Expectations at Honda Transmission Plant

Stealth wind turbines to become operational in France in 2015

TERROR WARS
BYU electric car sets new E1 land speed record at 204 mph

Nissan to make luxury cars in new China joint venture

Automaker gets first permit in the Golden State

150-car pile-up kills two in Netherlands

TERROR WARS
Ditching coal a massive step to climate goal: experts

China bans 'dirty' coal sale, imports

Cutting the cloud computing carbon cost

Study sheds new light on why batteries go bad

TERROR WARS
South Africa in '$50 bn deal' for Russian nuclear reactors

Japan minister attempts to convince public on nuclear

Britain's blockbuster nuclear deal to get EU nod

Finnish Greens quit government in nuclear row

TERROR WARS
New research suggests China's CO2 output is almost twice U.S.'s

Why China's Insatiable Appetite For Coal Has Likely Peaked

Study urges 15-year plan for low-carbon growth

IRENA: Outdated thinking curbing green energy momentum

TERROR WARS
Major palm oil companies to halt deforestation

Britain pledges funds in fight against deforestation

Smithsonian Scientists Discover Tropical Tree Microbiome in Panama

Global change: Trees continue to grow at a faster rate




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.