Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




SHAKE AND BLOW
3,000 still missing in India's flood-hit north: official
by Staff Writers
Dehradun, India (AFP) June 30, 2013


Two India floods survivors killed in Nepal landslide
Kathmandu (AFP) June 28, 2013 - Two Nepalese migrant workers who survived recent floods in north India were killed when a landslide triggered by heavy rains buried their hotel in a remote village in Nepal, local police said Friday.

The two men, who were in their forties stopped at a hotel in northwestern Nepal en route to their home in Kalikot district when it was smashed by a landslide Thursday night, Sher Bahadur Thapa, a local police official told AFP.

"Others escaped while the two (men) who shared a room on the second floor were trapped inside and buried under the debris," Thapa said.

He said that another man who was also trapped with them was able to escape with minor injuries.

The men, who worked as palanquin bearers for Hindu pilgrims visiting shrines in northern India, were returning home after surviving deadly floods caused by early, heavy rains earlier this month, Thapa said.

They were rescued by Indian soldiers after being stranded in Kedarnath, among the worst-hit areas.

After Thursday's deaths, the toll from landslides and floods has reached 41 in Nepal, where the government has declared fourteen out of the country's 75 districts disaster-hit.

Hundreds of people die every year from flooding and landslides during the monsoon season in the Himalayan nation.

Across the border in India, landslides and flash floods left more than a thousand dead and tens of thousands more people stranded.

Some 3,000 people remain missing in India's flood-ravaged north two weeks after the tragedy, but it is unclear how many of those have been killed, a top state official said Sunday.

About 1,000 people, many of them pilgrims and tourists, are confirmed dead after flash floods and landslides caused by torrential monsoon rains hit the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand on June 15, officials have said.

Thousands of soldiers, backed by military helicopters, have wound down rescue efforts after evacuating more than 100,000 people stranded in the state, which was packed with tourists on pilgrimages to remote Hindu temples and shrines.

"As per information we have received, 3,000 people are still missing," state Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna told reporters in the state capital Dehradun.

Bahuguna announced that families will receive 500,000 rupees ($8,500) in compensation if their loved ones are still missing after the next 30 days.

Some of those initially reported missing may have returned home or continued with their travels but failed to notify local authorities, officials said.

The exact death toll may never be known because some of the bodies may have been washed away or buried under tonnes of debris, Bahuguna told the Press Trust of India.

A state lawmaker said late Saturday the death toll could cross 10,000 but the figure was rejected as "guesswork" by Bahuguna.

A 200-strong team of specialists is scouring the worst-hit temple region of Kedarnath for bodies, which may still be trapped under debris or swept away by floods and landslides, officials said.

"Clearing tonnes of debris lying in the affected areas and extricating decaying bodies which may be lying under them is our topmost priority at the moment," said state director-general of police Satyavrat Bansal.

Rescue workers have recovered bodies in rivers hundreds of kilometres downstream from the flood zone, underscoring the difficulty of finding all those who perished.

Raging rivers swept away houses, buildings and even entire villages in the state, known as the "Land of the Gods" for its revered shrines.

Medical teams have been deployed to assess the risks to public health after warnings of an outbreak of disease due to contamination from hundreds of bodies found in rivers.

Media reported that state officials were warned in advance of heavy rains and possible landslides in the area.

A senior meteorologist said he had asked the state government to halt pilgrimages in the area before the June 15 disaster over concerns about the rains.

"It is true that on (the) 14th we had started giving warnings of heavy rains," local chief meteorologist Anand Sharma told television channel NDTV in Dehradun.

State Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar said the government had received the weather forecasts but described the warnings as routine.

.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








SHAKE AND BLOW
Lourdes closed, 200 evacuated after flash floods
Toulouse, France (AFP) June 18, 2013
French authorities Tuesday shut the grotto at Lourdes and evacuated about 200 people following flash floods at the Roman Catholic pilgrimage site. The preventive measure came a day after heavy rain and unseasonal snowfall in the area led to rivers flowing well above their normal levels, even cutting off some roads. "The Sanctuaries are closed," the local prefecture of the Haute-Garonne a ... read more


SHAKE AND BLOW
High-octane bacteria could ease pain at the pump

Novel Enzyme from Tiny Gribble Could Prove a Boon for Biofuels Research

A cheaper drive to 'cool' fuels

When green algae run out of air

SHAKE AND BLOW
Japan robot says space mission 'big stride' for androids

Scientists create a robot fish that can dive beneath water's surface

Robot mimics hamster in a ball to navigate farm fields

A robot that runs like a cat

SHAKE AND BLOW
Next step on King Island wind power project welcomed

Chile expands wind power resources

Policy issues plague hydropower as wind power backup

Renewable energy use gaining worldwide: IEA

SHAKE AND BLOW
GM, Honda partner on fuel cell vehicle development

Electric car maker Tesla debuts quick battery swap system

British team cracks 200 mph in electric car, sets record

Arnie defends his Hummer fleet as eco-friendly

SHAKE AND BLOW
21 percent of homes account for 50 percent of greenhouse gas emissions

Transporting Diluted Bitumen Through Pipelines Does Not Increase Likelihood of Release

Iraq's Maliki discusses oil project in Russia

Iraq mulls $620B energy strategy

SHAKE AND BLOW
Japan gets first MOX nuclear shipment since Fukushima

Japan disaster budget given to nuclear operator

Japan gets first MOX nuclear shipment since Fukushima

New radioactive water leak at Fukushima: TEPCO

SHAKE AND BLOW
Remote Norway islands added to national electric grid after blackout

Outside View: Obama's climate action plan masks hidden agenda

Extreme Energy, Extreme Implications: Interview with Michael Klare

Energy Companies Pull a Blackwater

SHAKE AND BLOW
Climate change threatens forest survival on drier, low-elevation sites

Bioeconomy as a solution for the declining forest industry of South Australia

Study reveals potent carbon-storage potential of manmade wetlands

Wolf Lake Ancient Forest Is Endangered Ecosystem




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement