Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




THE STANS
Army retaliates after 20 Pakistan soldiers killed in bomb attack
by Staff Writers
Peshawar, Pakistan (AFP) Jan 19, 2014


Blast near Pakistan military HQ kills four: officials
Rawalpindi, Pakistan (AFP) Jan 20, 2014 - A suspected suicide bombing in a market close to Pakistan's military headquarters on Monday killed at least four people, officials said, a day after one of the deadliest attacks on security forces in recent years.

Police and military officials said Monday's attack near the heavily fortified complex in Rawalpindi, Islamabad's twin city, may have involved a suicide bomber.

It came a day after the Pakistani Taliban killed 20 soldiers and wounded 30 others in a suicide bombing in the northwestern town of Bannu.

The umbrella Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) movement have been waging a bloody campaign against the Pakistani state since 2007, carrying out countless bomb and gun attacks, often on military targets.

Monday's blast, around a kilometre from the army headquarters, was powerful enough to smash windows in nearby buildings.

"Apparently it was a suicide attack," a military official told AFP.

"At least four people have been killed and 12 wounded."

Asad Malik, a resident in the RA bazaar area where the attack took place, told AFP that the intensity of the blast shattered windows in the area.

Muhammad Tuaqeer, a police officer in R A Bazaar, said soldiers had cordoned off the area and ambulances were taking the injured to the nearby military hospital.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Shahidullah Shahid, the main spokesman for the TTP on Sunday threatened to carry more attacks after claiming responsibility for the bombing in Bannu.

The headquarters came under attack in 2009, when militants laid siege to the complex for 24 hours. A total of 19 people died including eight militants.

Major naval and air force bases have also been targeted in recent years.

A senior Pakistani general was killed in a blast last September along with two other soldiers in an attack claimed by the Taliban.

The TTP vowed more attacks on Sunday, with Shahid saying the militants were seeking revenge for the deaths of their former chief Hakimullah Mehsud and deputy Waliur Rehman -- both killed in US drone attacks.

They said they would not engage in any dialogue with the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif following the death of Mehsud.

But Shahid told AFP Sunday the group "is ready for meaningful negotiations despite facing huge leadership losses, if the government proves its authority and sincerity" by halting drone attacks and withdrawing troops from tribal areas.

The civilian government led by Sharif, who came to power after elections last year, has said it is seeking talks with the Taliban.

But so far little progress has been seen and terror attacks rose 20 percent in 2013, according to the independent Pakistan Institute for Peace Studies.

Pakistan army helicopters fired missiles killing three militants on Sunday, officials said, in apparent retaliation for a Taliban bomb attack that killed 20 soldiers in the restive northwest.

The helicopters fired at a road in the village of Musaki situated in the same tribal region as the bombing earlier Sunday, intelligence and civil administration officials said.

One of the missiles struck a nearby house, killing a five-year-old girl and a seven-year-old boy, a local administration official added, although security officials could not confirm the civilian casualties.

The bombing earlier Sunday, claimed by the Pakistani Taliban, killed 20 soldiers and wounded 30 when it ripped through a military convoy.

The attack, one of the deadliest to hit Pakistani security forces in recent years, happened in the city of Bannu near the North Waziristan tribal region which is a stronghold of militants linked to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

"A vehicle-borne improvised explosive device caused the blast," a senior military official told AFP, adding the exact circumstances were unclear.

An official statement said 20 soldiers were killed and 30 injured in the attack, which hit one of the vehicles in the convoy at 8:45 am.

The convoy was about to leave for the town of Razmak in North Waziristan when the blast hit one of the civilian vehicles hired to move troops.

Taliban 'ready for talks'

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Shahidullah Shahid claimed responsibility for the convoy bombing.

"It was part of our fight against a secular system," he said by telephone from an undisclosed location.

"We will carry out more such attacks in future," he said, adding the Taliban were seeking revenge for the deaths of their former chief Hakimullah Mehsud and deputy Waliur Rehman -- both killed in US drone attacks.

The Taliban vowed they would not engage in any dialogue with the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif following the death of Mehsud.

But Shahid told AFP Sunday the group "is ready for meaningful negotiations despite facing huge leadership losses, if the government proves its authority and sincerity" by halting drone attacks and withdrawing troops from tribal areas.

Taliban insurgents have led a bloody campaign against the Pakistani state since 2007, staging hundreds of attacks on security forces and government targets.

An eyewitness told AFP by telephone the vehicle hit by Sunday's bomb was transformed into scorched metal.

"I collected human remains including hands and legs from the site after the attack," he said on condition of anonymity.

Body parts and soldiers' personal belongings littered the scene.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack, adding he would cancel a planned visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in the wake of a recent spike in terrorism.

"Our nation is united against extremism and terrorism and the sacrifices rendered by our citizens and personnel of law enforcing agencies will not go in vain," he said, according to a statement by his office.

'Demoralising attack'

Pakistani troops have for years been battling the Taliban and other homegrown insurgents in the tribal belt next to the Afghan border, which Washington considers the main hub of militants plotting attacks on the West and in Afghanistan.

The army's headquarters in Rawalpindi came under attack in 2009, while major naval and air force bases have also been targeted in battles that have lasted for several hours.

A senior Pakistani general was killed in a blast last September along with two other soldiers in an attack claimed by the Taliban.

In May 2011 89 paramilitary troops were killed in an attack at a military academy in the northwestern town of Charsadda.

Talat Masood, a retired general and security analyst, said recent assaults on the army were "testing the patience of the military" and were "extremely demoralising".

The civilian government led by Sharif, who came to power after elections last year, has said it is seeking talks with the Taliban.

But so far little progress has been seen and terror attacks rose 20 percent in 2013 according to the independent Pakistan Institute for Peace Studies.

Masood said the government's policy was creating frustration within the army.

"It is becoming so evident to people that the government is so ineffective and paralysed and has no policy or strategy, while the army's hands are tied and it is being targeted and not being allowed to take action."

Pakistan, which joined the US-led "war on terror" in 2001, says more than 40,000 people have been killed in the country since then by militants who oppose Islamabad's US alliance.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








THE STANS
Blast near Pakistan military HQ kills four: officials
Rawalpindi, Pakistan (AFP) Jan 20, 2014
A suspected suicide bombing in a market close to Pakistan's military headquarters on Monday killed at least four people, officials said, a day after one of the deadliest attacks on security forces in recent years. Police and military officials said Monday's attack near the heavily fortified complex in Rawalpindi, Islamabad's twin city, may have involved a suicide bomber. It came a day af ... read more


THE STANS
Boeing Joins BIOjet Team To Develop Biofuel Supply Chain In UAE

Renewable chemical ready for biofuels scale-up

UAE's Etihad demonstrates flight with biofuel mix

Boeing Finds Significant Potential in "Green Diesel" as a Sustainable Jet Fuel

THE STANS
The Cyborgs Era Has Started

Robots invade consumer market for play, work

Electronic 'mother' watches over home

Wall-Crawling Gecko Robots Can Stick In Space Too

THE STANS
France's Areva, Spain's Gamesa announce joint wind power venture

Musselroe Wind Farm provides fresh energy for local economy

Maine offshore wind project appears on track for federal funding

No Evidence of Residential Property Impacts Near Wind Turbines

THE STANS
Peugeot shares plunge on Chinese, French investment plans

Peugeot 'approves' capital hikes by French state, Chinese partner

Hybrid cars fail to ease Pakistan's gas woes

Peugeot board to examine Chinese capital boost plans

THE STANS
EU issues framework for shale gas exploitation

Oil prices drop on China data

Shell to further scale down Australian operations?

Iran's oil minister to seek investment at Davos

THE STANS
Westinghouse To Build Three AP1000 Nuclear Reactors In UK With Nugen

Japan's Tepco to restart nuclear reactors?

India and South Korea to cooperate on nuclear power?

Japan approves TEPCO business plan to switch on reactors

THE STANS
Europe's 2030 climate targets get mixed reception

EU could cut emissions by 40 percent at moderate cost

The German energy turnaround - implications for Russia

Global warming's biggest offenders

THE STANS
Image or reality? Leaf study needs photos and lab analysis

Meet the rainforest "diversity police"

Large, older trees keep growing at a faster rate

Oldest trees are growing faster, storing more carbon as they age




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement