Solar Energy News  
AEROSPACE
Final sweep for MH370 sea search
by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) Dec 14, 2016


The last vessel searching for missing MH370 has left on its final sweep across the southern Indian Ocean, Australia said Wednesday, as the transport minister cautioned the airliner might not be found in coming weeks.

Fugro Equator sailed from Fremantle port on Australia's western coast on Monday for the 120,000 square-kilometre (46,000-square-mile) zone where investigators believe the Malaysian Airlines jet disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew.

No trace has been found in the massive undersea hunt off Australia but investigators have confirmed that three pieces of debris recovered on western Indian Ocean shorelines came from MH370.

"It has been an heroic undertaking but we have to prepare ourselves for the prospect that we may not find MH370 in the coming weeks, although we remain hopeful," Transport Minister Darren Chester told The West Australian Tuesday.

The newspaper added that the ship's final hunt would involve examining some 200 small areas which were either too deep for previous sweeps or were not properly examined due to poor sonar readings.

The government agency leading the search, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), said Wednesday that the Equator's mission was expected to draw to a close next month.

Many next-of-kin have repeatedly complained about the lack of a coordinated search in the western Indian Ocean and along the African coast.

Relatives of some of the missing passengers are currently in Madagascar, combing beaches for clues about the lost plane, after fragments identified with "near certainty" as coming from MH370 were discovered in recent months on the coast of East Africa.

The families have been accompanied by American amateur investigator, Blaine Gibson, a lawyer from Seattle who has travelled the world trying to solve the MH370 mystery.

Gibson has also recovered other possible MH370 debris, but authorities have yet to confirm if any of the pieces belong to the missing plane.

Neither the location nor the cause of the crash are known, feeding wild conspiracy theories.

The ATSB said in a report last month that MH370 was likely out of control when it plunged into the ocean with its wing flaps not prepared for landing. It cast doubt on theories a pilot was still in charge.

The governments of Australia, Malaysia and China, where most of the passengers were from, agreed to pull the plug on the operation once the search area was fully scoured unless "credible new information" emerged.


Comment on this article using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
Aerospace News at SpaceMart.com






Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
AEROSPACE
One ship left in MH370 underwater search
Sydney (AFP) Dec 7, 2016
The official search for MH370 in the Indian Ocean has been reduced to one ship, Australian authorities said Wednesday, as relatives of the missing passengers launch their own hunt for crash debris in Madagascar. The Fugro Equator, one of four vessels involved in the search, remains in the 120,000 square-kilometre (46,000-square-mile) zone where investigators believe the Malaysian Airlines je ... read more


AEROSPACE
People willing to pay more for new biofuels

Investing in the 'bioeconomy' could create jobs and reduce carbon emissions

Argonne researchers study how reflectivity of biofuel crops impacts climate

UNIST researchers turn waste gas into road-ready diesel fuel

AEROSPACE
Internal sensors help soft robot hand feel the world like a human

Wall-jumping robot is most vertically agile ever built

Boeing to acquire Liquid Robotics

DARPA Creating Industry Government Group for Safe Operation of Space Robotics

AEROSPACE
Apple invests in China wind farms

Offshore wind makes U.S. debut

German energy company plants wind farm seed in Texas

New York to bid in Federal Offshore Wind Auction

AEROSPACE
Google self-driving car unit spins off as Waymo

Electric vehicle market footprint growing

China auto sales peak in November: group

US unveils 'V2V' plan for cars to talk to each other

AEROSPACE
Alternative fuel cell technology reduces cost

Engineers build refrigerator powered by sound waves

Energy innovation is focus of Gates-led $1 billion fund

The promise of greener power generation

AEROSPACE
Bulgaria seeks investor to revive nuclear project

Japan switches on nuclear reactor after safety shutdown

Fukushima costs to double to nearly $180 bn: report

'Diamond-age' of power generation as nuclear batteries developed

AEROSPACE
US push to low-carbon future 'unstoppable': Biden

Energy-hungry Asia slowing down, lender says

China's Shanghai Electric to invest $9bn in Pakistan upgrades

China power plant collapse kills at least 22: Xinhua

AEROSPACE
Indonesia expands protection for peatlands, climate

Laser technique boosts aerial imaging of woodlands

Green groups pressure Spain over 'at risk' wetlands

Scientists say North should commit to pay for forest conservation in South









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.