Solar Energy News  
SHAKE AND BLOW
Grim search in the rubble at Guatemala's empty Ground Zero
By David GARCIA
El Rodeo, Guatemala (AFP) June 8, 2018

Guatemala volcano toll reaches 109: officials
Guatemala City (AFP) June 8, 2018 - The death toll from the eruption of Guatemala's Fuego volcano has reached 109, officials said Thursday.

The National Forensic Sciences Agency said morgues had received the remains of 109 victims of Sunday's eruption. The previous toll was 99.

The agency said seven of the latest victims were in a temporary morgue installed close to the impact zone, in the now-devastated community of San Miguel Los Lotes in Escuintla, south of the capital Guatemala City.

Another three victims were transferred to the capital's central morgue, having succumbed to their injuries while hospitalized.

The eruption of the 3,763-meter (12,346-foot) volcano, located 35 kilometers (21 miles) southeast of Guatemala City, was the strongest in four decades.

The volcano's eruption has left dozens of people injured and more than 12,000 evacuated, with over 3,600 in shelters, according to figures from the country's disaster agency.

Authorities temporarily suspended rescue and recovery operations on Thursday in areas devastated by the volcano as heavy rainfall, still-hot volcanic material and additional explosions threatened to cause dangerous landslides.

Police tied a red tape to an electricity pole outside Henry Rivas's house. It's supposed to warn of danger, but after Sunday's devastating volcanic eruption, Henry has come to think of it as marking a boundary between life and death.

Two hundred meters (220 yards) up the road, on the other side of the tape, is the dust-blanketed heap of rubble that once was the small town of San Miguel Los Lotes. It bore the brunt of Fuego's wrath. Locals are referring to it as "Ground Zero."

Now it's a sea of still, smoldering gray dust that, kicked up with the slightest movement, hangs in the hazy air along with the stench of charred chickens, cows and other animals.

Beneath this thick ash blanket, along with the heaped cars and vans and rubble, lie an unknown number of bodies. The known death toll stands at 109, with nearly 200 missing.

"Now we are afraid that the lava will bury us," said Rivas, 37, who like most people here, was unbothered by the volcano's occasional activity until Sunday.

He was away working in Honduras when a fast-moving stream of boiling mud and incandescent rocks scoured the neighboring village from the side of the mountain.

From his patio there's not a soul to be seen in the neighborhood. Most have yet to return since Sunday's catastrophic eruption.

The only noticeable movement is of strays dogs and chickens picking at the dust, occasional emergency service trucks loaded with ash and the searchers who recovered four more bodies here on Wednesday.

Rivas's wife told him what happened on Sunday. The authorities gave them no warning. She left running with her four children, joining what turned out to be the survivors from Los Lotes.

Since then, Henry says his wife only thinks about where they are going to live now. Their home was spared, but the memories of what happened are too strong for them to go back, he said.

They are now putting their hopes in divine intervention and President Jimmy Morales.

"We ask God and the president to give us a plot far from here," he said.

- Fear of looting -

In El Rodeo, home to 8,500 people a kilometer away, locals say they are still spooked by the rumblings of the volcano as well as the threat of looters.

"I ran out and left the store open, but when I came back they had taken everything," said Demetrio Cuc, 33, who owns a grocery store at a busy intersection in El Rodeo.

Cuc's store is one of the few shops that have reopened since Sunday. The neighboring pharmacy and a takeaway have not.

Deissy Omar, 20, returned three days after the disaster to "pick up a few of my things" she left behind when she fled Sunday. Others weren't so lucky. Her cousin, his wife and their three children were killed, she said.

Omar's family walked several kilometers from the town to a house they have been given the loan of. Now depending on state help, they have asked to be rehoused far from the volcano.

Older neighbors say the volcano doesn't scare them. They have grown accustomed to its grumblings over the years, though they recognize Sunday's eruption was unprecedented.

"I have seen thousands of eruptions but none like this one," said Francisco Javier Canas, an 81-year-old from El Salvador, who have lived for more than 50 years in the area around the volcano.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


SHAKE AND BLOW
Hundreds of homes destroyed by volcano lava in Hawaii
Los Angeles (AFP) June 6, 2018
Hundreds of oceanfront homes have been destroyed by lava flow from Hawaii's Kilauea volcano, officials said Tuesday. "We lost hundreds of homes in Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland overnight, but we don't have exact figures," Janet Snyder, a spokeswoman for Hawaii County, told AFP. She said the lost homes were in addition to 117 others destroyed since the volcano began erupting on May 3, forcing the evacuation of 2,500 people. The latest two communities affected by the lava flow had been or ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

SHAKE AND BLOW
Polymer researchers discover path to sustainable and biodegradable polyesters

'Deforestation-free' palm oil not as simple as it sounds

Advanced biofuels can be produced extremely efficiently, confirms industrial demonstration

Technique doubles conversion of CO2 to plastic component

SHAKE AND BLOW
Service Robotics Market worth over $22bn by 2024

'Smart' material enables novel applications in autonomous driving and robotics

Robotic assembly of the world's smallest house

Lu resignation a blow for Baidu's push into AI, analysts say

SHAKE AND BLOW
Cryptocurrency blowing in the wind as mine opens in Estonia

U.S. Atlantic states eye offshore wind leadership

European wind energy generation potential in a warmer world

New York to world's largest offshore wildlife aerial survey

SHAKE AND BLOW
New material could replace expensive platinum catalysts used in hydrogen cars

French carmaker PSA to exit Iran over US sanction risk

Electric vehicle market exposed to risk from violence

Hamburg leads charge with Germany's first diesel ban

SHAKE AND BLOW
Novel NUS-developed hydrogel invented harnesses air moisture for practical applications

Researchers predict materials to stabilize record-high capacity lithium-ion battery

Better, faster, stronger: Building batteries that don't go boom

Scientists improve ability to measure electrical properties of plasma

SHAKE AND BLOW
Fire in Chernobyl zone, Kiev says radiation levels safe

World first EPR nuclear reactor begins work in China

France: Framatome to supply EDF with Enriched Reprocessed Uranium fuel assemblies

Framatome partners with McAfee to support energy industry cybersecurity

SHAKE AND BLOW
Carbon dioxide emissions drop from U.S. power sector

Trump readies new plan to aid coal and nuclear power

Study highlights environmental cost of tearing down Vancouver's single-family homes

Bitcoin estimated to use half a percent of the world's electric energy by end of 2018

SHAKE AND BLOW
New research finds tall and older Amazonian forests more resistant to droughts

Zangbeto: voodoo saviour of Benin's mangroves

New technique reveals details of forest fire recovery

Forest loss in one part of US can harm trees on the opposite coast









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.