Solar Energy News  
CYBER WARS
Huawei exec's lawyers say Meng is a 'pawn' in China-US feud
By David BALL
Vancouver (AFP) March 3, 2021

Meng Wanzhou's lawyers on Wednesday accused former US president Donald Trump of making the Huawei executive a "pawn" in a China-US trade conflict.

Meng, 49, is fighting extradition to the United States, where she faces charges of bank fraud and conspiracy for allegedly concealing her company's business dealings, through a subsidiary, in Iran.

Her defence team asserts that abuses by Canada and the United States have denied her the right to a fair process, and therefore Canada should quash the US extradition request.

They argued in the Supreme Court of British Columbia that Trump's remarks just days after Meng's arrest during a Vancouver stopover in December 2018, in which he said he might intervene in her case in exchange for Chinese trade concessions, "poisoned" her extradition trial.

According to defence lawyer Richard Peck, these were not mere "off-hand comments" but repeated on "multiple occasions" and echoed by other high-level members of Trump's administration.

"These words cast a pall over these proceedings and they reduce Ms. Meng from a human being to a chattel," Peck said.

"The then-president of the US co-opted the extradition process in an effort to leverage Ms. Meng and her legal status in US trade negotiations with China," he told the court.

"Ms. Meng became a bargaining chip -- a pawn -- in this economic contest between two global superpowers."

- Threat to US dominance -

The daughter of Huawei founder and chief executive Ren Zhengfei is accused of having lied to the HSBC investment bank about Huawei's relationship with subsidiary Skycom, putting the bank at risk of violating US sanctions against Iran as it continued to clear US dollar transactions for Huawei.

If convicted, she could face more than 30 years in a US prison. Both Meng and Huawei deny the charges.

Lawyers for Canada's attorney general have urged the court to toss the claims about Trump, saying they are "moot" now that he has left office.

"During the time he was in office, there is no evidence that he did intervene," the government lawyers said in court filings. "The very thin basis on which this application was launched has vanished (and so) the court should decline to hear it."

Echoing Beijing's position, Peck alleged that the US drive to prosecute Meng is part of "a concerted and coordinated effort by the US government to debilitate and destroy Huawei."

"Huawei is seen as a threat by the US, a threat to its historical place as the world's economic power, its dominance in the field of technology," he said.

Washington has accused Huawei of stealing American trade secrets, and last year banned US semiconductor chipmakers from selling to China's top global technology firm.

In the meantime, Canada has found itself squeezed between the two as it seeks the release of two of its citizens, former diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor, arrested in apparent retaliation for Meng's detention.

Meng's extradition case is expected to end in mid-May, barring appeals.


Related Links
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


CYBER WARS
Former defense contractor pleads guilty to taking classified documents
Washington DC (UPI) Feb 26, 2021
A former U.S. Air Force contractor pleaded guilty to stealing about 2,500 pages of classified documents, the Justice Department announced. Izaak Vincent Kemp admitted that he illegally took 112 classified documents during his employment between 2016 and 2019 at the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory and the National Air and Space Intelligence Center, both located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The AFRL oversees development of advanced weapons, while the NASIC analyzes intellig ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

CYBER WARS
USC study shows promising potential for marine biofuel

Recycling carbon emissions to useful chemicals and reducing global warming

Termite gut microbes could aid biofuel production

New synthetic route for biofuel production

CYBER WARS
Hi, Robot: Japan's android pets ease virus isolation

Chatty robot Franzi cheers up German patients

This robot doesn't need any electronics

Robots sense human touch using camera and shadows

CYBER WARS
BP enters UK offshore wind sector

Denmark moves forward on North Sea 'energy island'

$43 bn deal for 'world's biggest' offshore wind farm in South Korea

Magnora enters partnership to establish floating wind company

CYBER WARS
Driving on the cutting edge of autonomous vehicle tech

Snarl-ups to start-ups: Cairo's jams inspire tech solutions

Toyota breaks ground on futuristic 'Woven City' for Japanese employees

Uber spins off robot delivery unit of Postmates

CYBER WARS
Batteries are a hot topic for SPARRCI researchers

Keeping an eye on the fusion future

An aggressive market-driven model for US fusion power development

Tunnels to become CO2-neutral energy suppliers

CYBER WARS
France to extend lifetime of old nuclear power plants

GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy advances efforts to license BWRX-300 small modular reactor

Plant as superhero during nuclear power plant accidents

Framatome and Wroclaw University of Technology train the next generation of nuclear professionals

CYBER WARS
Texas utility files for bankruptcy after $2.1 bn power bill

Mexico lawmakers advance controversial energy reforms

Texas power board members resign over mass outages

Anger over huge power bills in 'preventable' Texas weather crisis

CYBER WARS
Diverse mangrove forests store more carbon

The simple 'seedballs' giving Kenya's forests a helping hand

Climate change is fueling an east-west divide in forest seed production

Covid an excuse to strip tropical forests: indigenous groups









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.