Solar Energy News  
INTERNET SPACE
Huawei moves to overturn 'unlawful' US subsidy ban
By Sarah LAI
Shenzhen, China (AFP) Dec 5, 2019

Chinese telecoms giant Huawei said on Thursday it has petitioned a US court to overturn a ban that prevents carriers in rural America from buying the firm's equipment by tapping an $8.5-billion federal fund.

Huawei's petition said the ban -- imposed last month against the company and its Chinese rival ZTE on national security grounds -- failed to substantiate claims that Huawei was a threat and was a violation of due process, and thus "unlawful".

"Huawei is a Chinese company. That is (Washington's) only excuse," Huawei's chief legal officer Song Liuping told a news conference at the company's headquarters in Shenzhen.

The petition to a US appeals court follows a lawsuit filed by Huawei in March that declared a 2019 US defence bill "unconstitutional" for barring government agencies from buying its equipment, services, or working with third parties that are Huawei customers.

The US campaign against Huawei is motivated by fears in Washington that the company is a potential security threat due to the background of its founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei, a former Chinese army engineer.

The concerns have escalated as Huawei has risen to become the world leader in telecom networking equipment and one of the top smartphone manufacturers, and following Beijing's passage of a 2017 law that obliges Chinese companies to assist the government in matters of national security.

Donald Trump moved in May to block American companies from doing business with Huawei, which US officials accuse of violating US sanctions on Iran.

But Trump has offered a series of temporary reprieves for Huawei to allow service providers covering remote rural areas time to comply with the ban.

- 'No proof' -

Huawei has consistently dismissed the security accusations, saying Washington has provided no proof to back them up.

In imposing the subsidy ban last month, US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai said Huawei and ZTE "have close ties to China's communist government and military apparatus", and were thus a threat to national security.

The FCC also proposed that telecom service providers be required to cancel or replace existing services and equipment obtained from the two Chinese companies.

The Universal Service Fund is used to subsidise telecommunication services and equipment mainly in rural areas of the United States, a market where Huawei gear has established a presence despite growing US pressure on the company.

Song said the FCC failed to present any evidence to prove its assertion that Huawei was a threat and "ignored" Huawei submissions to the contrary.

Huawei says the ban will hinder connectivity in rural parts of the United States and harm American consumers.

ZTE came close to collapse last year after American companies were prevented from selling it vital components over its continued dealings with Iran and North Korea.

Trump later allowed ZTE to resume imports under tough conditions.

Huawei's chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou, who is also Ren's daughter, was arrested in Canada last year and is now fighting extradition to the United States on fraud and conspiracy charges tied to US sanctions.


Related Links
Satellite-based Internet technologies


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


INTERNET SPACE
Huawei to shift research from hostile US to Canada: founder
Ottawa (AFP) Dec 3, 2019
Chinese tech giant Huawei, facing US criminal charges and economic sanctions, is planning to relocate its telecommunications research from the United States to Canada, founder Ren Zhengfei said in an interview published Tuesday. Speaking with the Globe and Mail newspaper at Huawei's headquarters in Shenzhen, Ren said the company is also considering building new factories in Europe to make fifth-generation or 5G equipment. The pivot comes as Washington steps up pressure on allies to ban Huawei co ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

INTERNET SPACE
Scientists devise catalyst that uses light to turn carbon dioxide to fuel

Co-combustion of wood and oil-shale reduces carbon emissions

Green palm oil push: Kit Kat, Dove makers could face fines

Scientists clarify light harvesting in green algae

INTERNET SPACE
Helping machines perceive some laws of physics

UK online supermarket Ocado strikes AI deal in Japan

An astronaut controls a rover on Earth

Scientists help soldiers figure out what robots know

INTERNET SPACE
Saving bats from wind turbine death

DTEK reaches 1 GW of renewable energy generation capacity in Ukraine

Global winds reverse decades of slowing and pick up speed

Superconducting wind turbine chalks up first test success

INTERNET SPACE
China to target quarter of vehicle sales to be electric by 2025

Mass English lawsuit over VW 'dieselgate' reaches court

BMW to build electric Mini in China

VW defends Xinjiang car plant after China cables

INTERNET SPACE
New device enables battery-free computer input at the tip of your finger

Study sheds light on the peculiar 'normal' phase of high-temperature superconductors

The impact of molecular rotation on a peculiar isotope effect on water hydrogen bonds

Big plans to save the planet depend on nanoscopic materials improving energy storage

INTERNET SPACE
GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy awarded contract to support decommissioning of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station

New broom at UN nuclear watchdog as Iran tensions rise

Russian Greenpeace protests against depleted uranium cargo

Nuclear fuel alternatives after Fukushima have challenges ahead

INTERNET SPACE
Carbon markets: looming climate showdown?

Insurer Axa plans total carbon divestment by 2040

Canada needs much higher carbon tax to meet climate target: study

Probe sought over concern China can shut down Philippine power

INTERNET SPACE
Drogba kicks off 'million trees' project in Ivory Coast

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon highest since 2008: official

Paying countries not to chop down forests works, study shows

Romania's forests under mounting threat -- along with rangers









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.