Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




UAV NEWS
Israel downs Lebanon drone off northern coast
by Staff Writers
Jerusalem (AFP) April 25, 2013


Hezbollah denies sending drone over Israel: TV
Beirut (AFP) April 25, 2013 - Powerful Lebanese Shiite movement Hezbollah denied on Thursday that it had sent a drone over Israel, hours after the Israeli air force said it shot down an unmanned aircraft off the country's northern coast.

"Hezbollah denies sending any unmanned drone towards occupied Palestine," the movement's television channel Al-Manar said, without elaborating.

Israel's deputy defence minister earlier put the blame squarely on Hezbollah.

Hezbollah has previously claimed responsibility for drone infiltrations, most recently on October 7.

"An unmanned aircraft (UAV) was identified approaching the coast of Israel and was successfully intercepted by IAF aircraft five nautical miles off the coast of Haifa at approximately 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) today," the military said.

The incident took place as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was flying to attend a ceremony in the Druze village of Julis, with the helicopter briefly landing after he received the news.

"I see this attempt to breach our borders as extremely grave," the premier said. "We will continue to do whatever we must to protect the security of Israel's citizens."

Military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner told reporters the drone had been identified moving down the Lebanese coast before reaching Israeli airspace.

"A little after 1:00 pm, our aerial defence system identified (a drone) moving from north to south along the coast of Lebanon," he said.

"Aircraft, helicopters and combat airplanes were alerted to the area and after confirmation that it was an unfriendly aircraft, they were approved to shoot it down."

But despite widespread reports blaming Hezbollah, Lerner was cautious, saying the incident was still being investigated.

"We don't know where the aircraft was coming from and where it was actually going," he said, adding that the navy was "searching for the remains of the UAV" as part of the probe.

But Deputy Defence Minister Danny Danon said it was clear that the Lebanese Shiite movement was behind the attack.

"We're talking about another attempt by Hezbollah to send an unmanned drone into Israeli territory," he told army radio, describing it as "another attempt to destabilise the Middle East."

The Israeli air force on Thursday shot down a drone from Lebanon off the northern coast of Israel in an incident described by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as "extremely grave."

It was the second such incident in less than seven months, and Israel's deputy defence minister putting the blame squarely on Lebanon's Shiite Hezbollah movement which had said it was behind a previous drone infiltration on October 7.

Hezbollah's television channel Al-Manar said on Thursday the group "denies sending any unmanned drone towards occupied Palestine," without elaborating.

"An unmanned aircraft (UAV) was identified approaching the coast of Israel and was successfully intercepted by IAF aircraft five nautical miles off the coast of Haifa at approximately 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) today," the Israeli military said.

The incident took place as Netanyahu was flying to attend a ceremony in the Druze village of Julis, some 32 kilometres (20 miles) northeast of Haifa, with the helicopter briefly landing after he received the news.

"I see this attempt to breach our borders as extremely grave," the premier said. "We will continue to do whatever we must to protect the security of Israel's citizens."

Military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner told reporters the drone had been identified moving down the Lebanese coast before reaching Israeli airspace.

"A little after 1:00 pm, our aerial defence system identified (a drone) moving from north to south along the coast of Lebanon," he said.

"Aircraft, helicopters and combat airplanes were alerted to the area and after confirmation that it was an unfriendly aircraft, they were approved to shoot it down."

But despite widespread reports blaming Hezbollah, Lerner was cautious, saying the incident was still being investigated.

"We don't know where the aircraft was coming from and where it was actually going," he said, adding that the navy was "searching for the remains of the UAV" as part of the probe.

But deputy defence minister Danny Danon said it was clear that the Lebanese Shiite movement was behind the attack.

"We're talking about another attempt by Hezbollah to send an unmanned drone into Israeli territory," he told Israel's army radio, describing it as "another attempt to destabilise the Middle East."

Israel would respond to the incident in its own time, he said.

"We are ready and we will react as necessary," Danon warned. "They know not to provoke us."

On October 7, warplanes shot down an unarmed drone over Israel's southern Negev desert after it entered the country's airspace from the Mediterranean Sea, with Netanyahu blaming Hezbollah.

Several days later, Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah confirmed his militants had sent an Iranian-built drone into Israeli airspace and claimed it had overflown sensitive sites in Israel.

He said the drone was "Iranian-built and assembled in Lebanon."

In July 2006, the Israeli military shot down an unarmed drone operated by Hezbollah over the Jewish state's territorial waters.

And on April 12, 2005, another pilotless Hezbollah aircraft succeeded in overflying part of northern Israel without being shot down.

burs/srm/

.


Related Links
UAV News - Suppliers and Technology






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








UAV NEWS
US drone destroys Taliban base in Pakistan, five killed
Miranshah, Pakistan (AFP) April 17, 2013
A US drone fired two missiles into a Taliban training camp in Pakistan on Wednesday, destroying the compound and killing at least five militants, local officials said. The attack took place in the Baber Ghar area of the South Waziristan tribal district on the Afghan border, a stronghold of Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud where the faction runs several camps. "The target was a ... read more


UAV NEWS
Recipe for Low-Cost, Biomass-Derived Catalyst for Hydrogen Production

China conducts its first successful bio-fueled airline flight

Bugs produce diesel on demand

New input system for biogas systems

UAV NEWS
The SPHERES Have Eyes

Humans feel empathy for robots

Baby sea turtles and flipper-driven robot reveal principles of moving on sand

New sensors can give robot hands a 'gentle touch'

UAV NEWS
U.S. leads in wind installations

Providing Capital and Technology, GE is Farming the Wind in America's Heartland with Enel Green Power

Wind skeptic British minister replaced

Using fluctuating wind power

UAV NEWS
Honda's annual net profit soars to $3.7 bn

Chinese prefer gas-guzzling vehicles?

Auto makers show off vehicles in key China market

GM by any other name? Car firms face brand puzzle in China

UAV NEWS
Syria's energy: Mediterranean gas may be the prize

Government portal offers a closer look at oil sands

Battery and Memory Device in One

GL RC Certifies Alstom's 1MW Tidal Turbine Prototype

UAV NEWS
S. Korea, US extend nuclear pact

Czech CEZ wants better bids for nuclear plant

GDF Suez says Q1 energy sales edge higher

Japan, France set to win Turkish nuclear plant deal: report

UAV NEWS
Ethiopia and China sign $1 billion power deal

New York approves power line from Canada

$674 billion annual spend on 'unburnable' fossil fuel assets signals failure to recognise huge financial risks

Germany energy transition faces cuts after European Parliament vote

UAV NEWS
Study Led by NUS Scientists Reveals Escalating Cost of Forest Conservation

Wildfires can burn hot without ruining soil

Indonesia moves towards approving deforestation plan

Brazil urged to stop invading indigenous lands




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement