Solar Energy News
WAR REPORT
Lebanon cabinet meets again on Hezbollah disarmament
Lebanon cabinet meets again on Hezbollah disarmament
by AFP Staff Writers
Beirut, Lebanon (AFP) Aug 7, 2025

Lebanon's cabinet met on Thursday for the second time in days to discuss disarming Hezbollah, after the Iran-backed group rejected the government's decision to take away its weapons.

The meeting considered a US proposal that includes a timetable for Hezbollah's disarmament, with Washington pressing Beirut to take action.

Information Minister Paul Morcos said the cabinet endorsed the introduction of the US text without discussing specific timelines. The government said on Tuesday that disarmament should happen by the end of this year.

The introduction endorsed in Thursday's meeting lists 11 "objectives" including "ensuring the sustainability" of a November ceasefire with Israel, and "the gradual end of the armed presence of all non-governmental entities, including Hezbollah, in all Lebanese territory".

It also calls for the the deployment of Lebanese troops in border areas and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the five places in the south they have occupied since last year's war with Hezbollah.

The November ceasefire that sought to end more than a year of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah stipulated that weapons in Lebanon be restricted to six military and security agencies.

Following the cabinet decision on Tuesday, Morcos said the Lebanese government was waiting to review an "executive plan" on Hezbollah's disarmament.

The army was tasked with presenting a plan to restrict the possession of weapons to government forces by the end of August.

Only then would the government review the full provisions of the US proposal, whose implementation "is dependent on the approval of each of the concerned countries", the information minister said.

- US support -

Four Shiite Muslim ministers, including three directly affiliated with Hezbollah or its ally the Amal movement, walked out of Thursday's meeting in protest at the government's disarmament push, Hezbollah's Al Manar television reported.

They also refused to discuss the proposal submitted by US envoy Tom Barrack, the report said.

Environment Minister Tamara Elzein, who is close to Amal, told Al Manar that the government "first hoped to consolidate the ceasefire and the Israeli withdrawal, before we could complete the remaining points" in Barrack's proposal such as taking away Hezbollah's weapons.

In a post on X, Barrack hailed Lebanon's "historic, bold, and correct decision this week to begin fully implementing" the November ceasefire.

France's foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot in a message on X hailed Lebanon's disarmament initiative as "a brave and historic decision" that would enable the country to rebuild and "protect all its communities".

Under Lebanon's sect-based power-sharing system, the absence of the Shiite ministers from this week's cabinet meetings could support the claim that the decisions taken lacked consensual legitimacy, however.

Before last year's war with Israel, Hezbollah had wielded sufficient political power to impose its will or disrupt government business.

But the Shiite group has emerged from the war weakened, reducing its political influence.

- 'Correct the situation' -

Hezbollah's parliamentary bloc called on the government on Thursday to "correct the situation it has put itself and Lebanon in by slipping into accepting American demands that inevitably serve the interests of the Zionist enemy".

The group said on Wednesday that it would treat the government's decision to disarm it "as if it did not exist", accusing the cabinet of committing a "grave sin".

Late Thursday, hundreds of Hezbollah supporters took to the streets of Beirut's southern suburbs to protest the government decision, AFP photographers reported.

Lebanese media shared footage of similar rallies in other areas of the country where Hezbollah holds sway, while troops deployed to maintain order.

Israel -- which routinely carries out air strikes in Lebanon despite the November ceasefire -- has already signalled it could launch military operations if Beirut failed to disarm the group.

The Lebanese health ministry said Israel carried out several strikes on eastern Lebanon on Thursday, killing at least seven people.

Andrea Tenenti, spokesperson for UN peacekeepers in Lebanon, said on Thursday that troops had "discovered a vast network of fortified tunnels" in the south.

UN spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters that peacekeepers and Lebanese troops found "three bunkers, artillery, rocket launchers, hundreds of explosive shells and rockets, anti-tank mines and about 250 ready-to-use improvised explosive devices".

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said in June that the Lebanese army had dismantled more than 500 Hezbollah military positions and weapons depots in the south.

nad-lar/smw/rlp/tw

X

Related Links
Space War News

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
WAR REPORT
UAE denies 'false' Sudan claim of destroying Emirati plane carrying mercenaries
Dubai (AFP) Aug 7, 2025
The United Arab Emirates rejected on Thursday an announcement from Sudan's armed forces saying they had destroyed an Emirati plane carrying Colombian mercenaries. Sudan has been locked in a war between its army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) since April of 2023, with the military long accusing Abu Dhabi of supporting its rival. On Wednesday, army-aligned state TV said at least 40 people were killed when Sudan's air force struck an Emirati aircraft transporting mercenaries as it ... read more

WAR REPORT
Electron beam recycling turns heat resistant plastics into valuable gases

Electron beam method converts Teflon waste into reusable gases

Italy fines oil giant Eni over bioplastic market abuse

Acid vapor boosts durability of carbon dioxide-to-fuel devices

WAR REPORT
US government gets a year of ChatGPT Enterprise for $1

Dogs of war: China touts killer robot 'wolves'

Musclelike robotic sheet squeezes into tight spaces for surgery and inspection

Surgical microrobot navigates using internal vision system

WAR REPORT
'Let's go fly a kite': Capturing wind for clean energy in Ireland

'Let's go fly a kite': Capturing wind for clean energy in Ireland

Germany, wind power groups seek to cut China reliance

Drone swarm explores turbulent airflows near wind turbines

WAR REPORT
Electric 'air taxis' could debut in Japan from 2027

China's Baidu to deploy robotaxis on rideshare app Lyft

BMW profits slump on China woes, US tariffs

Mercedes-Benz profit plunges on tariff, China woes

WAR REPORT
New transmitter could make wireless devices more energy-efficient

The complex relationship between fusion fuel and lithium walls

Battery sharing model boosts savings for local energy communities

US to impose steep anti-dumping duty on battery material from China

WAR REPORT
Diatoms shown to absorb and store uranium inside cells

Idaho Lab teams with Amazon to fast track AI driven nuclear energy systems

Russia wants to mine Niger's uranium, energy minister says

Three drones detected in Japan nuclear plant

WAR REPORT
Major climate-GDP study under review after facing challenge

Iran orders office closures as heatwave strains power grid

US Energy Department misrepresents climate science in new report

UN climate chief challenges Australia to curb emissions

WAR REPORT
A weakening forest buffer challenges EU climate goals

House razings to save Niger capital's forest shield dismay locals

EU urged to act on forests' faltering absorption of carbon

'Lungs of the Earth': the Indonesians fighting for peatland

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.