![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() by Staff Writers Macau (AFP) Feb 4, 2020
Macau on Tuesday said it will temporarily close down all casinos as the gambling hub battles the deadly coronavirus, cutting off the lifeblood of the city's economy. The move came as the former Portuguese colony confirmed its tenth confirmed case of the virus, which has killed more than 400 people in China, infected tens of thousands and spread to more than 20 countries. Chief Executive Ho Iat-seng, a pro-Beijing appointee who took office in December, said the gambling industry would initially shutter for two weeks but he warned the closures could be extended if the virus continued to spread. "This is a difficult decision but we have to do it, for the health of our Macau residents," he told reporters. He said he would meet gaming industry representatives on Tuesday afternoon and announce precise timings soon after. The only other time Macau has closed its casinos was in 2018, when the city was hit directly by a typhoon. On Tuesday, health authorities announced two fresh infections, one a woman who worked in the gaming industry. As the only place in China where gambling is allowed, Macau's casinos account for about 80 percent of government revenue. Some 35 million people visited the densely crowded city of just 631,000 people last year, the vast majority mainland Chinese heading to the casinos, which rake in each week what Las Vegas takes in a month. But the virus outbreak has hammered the industry over what would usually be one of its busiest periods -- the Lunar New Year holidays. The number of visitors has plunged 80 percent in the past week. Ho had previously said he was willing to close the gambling industry because of the virus outbreak and casinos have been monitoring the temperatures of punters walking through their doors in recent days. He, who wore a face mask for his news conference, added that he had no plans yet to close the border with mainland China but would consider shutting certain checkpoints, a step neighbouring Hong Kong has taken. He also called on residents to reduce trips outdoors. "Don't go on the streets if not necessary. I hope everyone will wear a mask no matter where you go, supermarkets or wet markets. Don't be careless. Don't take it lightly," he said.
![]() ![]() China hunts for travellers from virus epicentre Beijing (AFP) Feb 3, 2020 Communities in China are offering cash rewards, knocking on doors and questioning people trying to enter their neighbourhoods - but they're not looking for criminals. They're searching for anyone coming from Wuhan, the central city at the epicentre of a deadly virus epidemic that has sparked fear - even panic - in China and beyond. The end of the extended Lunar New Year holiday this weekend has raised concerns that the new coronavirus could spread further as people travel across the country. ... read more
![]() |
|
The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us. |