Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




DRAGON SPACE
NASA ban on Chinese scientists 'inaccurate': lawmaker
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Oct 08, 2013


A controversial decision by NASA to bar Chinese scientists from a conference on exoplanets next month was deemed "inaccurate" Tuesday by the US congressman who wrote the law.

NASA's announcement that Chinese nationals would not be permitted to enter the Second Kepler Science Conference at Ames Research Center in California November 4-8 sparked a boycott by some prominent US astronomers.

"In good conscience, I cannot attend a meeting that discriminates in this way. The meeting is about planets located trillions of miles away, with no national security implications," Geoff Marcy, an astronomy professor at the University of California, Berkeley, wrote in an email to the organizers.

The restriction was apparently based on a law passed in 2011 and signed by President Barack Obama that prevents NASA funds from being used to collaborate with China or to host Chinese visitors at US space agency facilities.

The legal language was inserted into a funding bill by Congressman Frank Wolf, who chairs the House Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies.

The law bans NASA funds from being used to work "bilaterally in any way with China or any Chinese-owned company" or being "used to effectuate the hosting of official Chinese visitors at facilities belonging to or utilized by NASA," according to a copy of the legal text sent to AFP by Wolf's assistant.

However, Wolf's office issued a letter to NASA administrator Charles Bolden on Tuesday seeking to correct an article on the matter that first appeared October 4 in The Guardian newspaper, as well as NASA's stance.

"Unfortunately, the article is riddled with inaccuracies, as is, it appears, the guidance provided by NASA Ames staff to the attendees," said the letter from Wolf's office.

"As you know, the congressional provision -- which has been in place since early 2011 -- primarily restricts bilateral, not multilateral, meetings and activities with the Communist Chinese government or Chinese-owned companies," it said.

"It places no restrictions on activities involving individual Chinese nationals unless those nationals are acting as official representatives of the Chinese government."

Wolf said NASA officials may have believed that the move was needed because of extra temporary restrictions on foreign nationals after an potential security breach by a Chinese citizen at a NASA facility in Virginia earlier this year.

Bolden announced those extra measures in March.

"The person in question no longer works at Langley," Bolden said at a hearing on March 20 before the House subcommittee that oversees funding for NASA -- the same one that Wolf chairs.

"I have ordered a complete review of the access which foreign nationals from designated countries are granted at NASA facilities," Bolden added.

"I have ordered a moratorium on granting any new access to NASA facilities to individuals from specific designated countries, specifically China, Burma, Eritrea, Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Uzbekistan."

In the intervening months, a formal report on the probe has been completed and should be released soon, Wolf wrote on Tuesday.

"It was my understanding that NASA's temporary restrictions had been lifted after a review of security protocols for foreign nationals at all NASA centers," his letter said.

"It is clear the NASA Ames guidance provided to conference attendees was inaccurate and not reflective of the statutory restrictions enacted by Congress," he concluded.

"NASA headquarters needs to send updated guidance to both the conference attendees and to the press to correct this misconception."

Co-chair of the upcoming Kepler conference, Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington, did not respond to an AFP request for comment.

.


Related Links
The Chinese Space Program - News, Policy and Technology
China News from SinoDaily.com






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








DRAGON SPACE
What's Next, Tiangong?
Sydney, Australia (SPX) Oct 09 2013
Earlier this year, signs appeared that China was reshuffling its Tiangong space laboratory program. The first Tiangong lab module was launched in 2011, and two astronaut crews lived aboard it. The Tiangong 1 laboratory has now completed its mission of demonstrating the basic technologies required for a space station and is expected to re-enter any time now. China's original plan called fo ... read more


DRAGON SPACE
UCLA engineers develop new metabolic pathway to more efficiently convert sugars into biofuels

KAIST announced a novel technology to produce gasoline by a metabolically engineered microorganism

Solving ethanol's corrosion problem may help speed the biofuel to market

First look at complete sorghum genome may usher in new uses for food and fuel

DRAGON SPACE
Russia to launch first android robot to ISS

Better robot vision

Surprisingly simple scheme for self-assembling robots

Putting a face on a robot

DRAGON SPACE
Installation of the first AREVA turbines at Trianel Windpark Borkum and Global Tech 1

Trump's suit to halt wind farm project to be heard in November

Ireland connects first community-owned wind farm to grid

Moventas significantly expands wind footprint

DRAGON SPACE
London black taxis turn white for Australia

Rolls-Royce SUV will not compromise brand: CEO

Hong Kong's handcarts keep the city on a roll

US-made electric car tops new registrations in Norway

DRAGON SPACE
Putin demands Dutch apology on diplomat amid Greenpeace row

Spanish protesters demand closure of gas site linked to quakes

The Shale Boom, Just Getting Started

Singapore, China giants mull Spain gas investment: report

DRAGON SPACE
Japan nuclear regulator berates Fukushima operator

Japan nuclear regulator berates Fukushima operator

New leak at crippled Fukushima nuclear plant: TEPCO

Bangladesh breaks ground for first nuclear power plant

DRAGON SPACE
Real-life hobbit village channels eco-values

IEA: Southeast Asia's energy demand to increase 80 percent

Nigeria signs $1.3 bn power plant deal with China

Myanmar's energy sector boosted by World Bank investment

DRAGON SPACE
Argentina taking Uruguay to world court over pulp mill, again

Wildlife face 'Armageddon' as forests shrink

ForWarn follows rapidly changing forest conditions

Indonesia, EU seal pact to stop illegal timber exports




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement