. Solar Energy News .




.
NUKEWARS
N.Korea 'confident of China rocket backing': analyst
by Staff Writers
Tokyo (AFP) March 30, 2012

S. Korea, China, Japan to hold talks amid missile plan
Seoul (AFP) March 29, 2012 - South Korea, China and Japan will hold talks next month on regional security and cooperation, Seoul's foreign ministry said Thursday, with North Korea's rocket plan set to figure on the sidelines.

Foreign Minister Kim Sung-Hwan will hold the two-day talks with counterparts Yang Jiechi from China and Japan's Koichiro Gemba in the eastern Chinese city of Ningbo starting April 7, said ministry spokesman Cho Byung-Jae.

Cho said North Korea's rocket launch planned for mid-April was certain to be raised bilaterally on the sidelines of the three-way talks, the sixth of their kind.

Defying international appeals and expressions of concern from its close ally China, the North says it will launch a satellite between April 12-16.

Japan's Tokyo Shimbun newspaper reported earlier Thursday that the North has started fuelling the long-range rocket.

Cho said he could not confirm the report, calling it an intelligence matter.

South Korea, the United States, Japan and other countries have condemned the planned launch as a pretext to test ballistic missile technology, in defiance of United Nations resolutions.


North Korea is confident of China's ultimate backing over the launch of a rocket that the West suspects is a disguised missile test, a Japanese defence adviser has warned.

Hiroyasu Akutsu, professor at the National Institute for Defence Studies (NIDS), said the secretive state would not back down over the launch, despite the urging of countries across the globe and the threat of the withdrawal of much-needed food aid.

"They are confident that China will ultimately support them if they launch the satellite" despite international pressure, he told reporters ahead of the publication of the "East Asian Strategic Review" published by NIDS.

Washington has asked Beijing to rein in its errant ally, but the response so far has been muted.

China has expressed concern over the planned launch and urged "restraint" on all sides following pronouncements from some countries -- including Japan -- that any rocket could be shot down.

Pyongyang insists it has the right to launch what it maintains is a satellite for peaceful purposes, but the US and its allies say any launch would contravene UN sanctions aimed at curbing North Korea's missile programme.

The study, being published Friday, is an annual venture commissioned by Japan's Defence Ministry, which influences national defence policy.

It warns improvements in nuclear technology, coupled with the change in leadership that has seen the untested Kim Jong-Un take control in Pyongyang, have increased the danger for the region.

Experts have said the communist state may have succeeded in miniaturising its nuclear weapons, raising alarm bells among defense analysts.

"If this leads to North Korea gaining the ability to mount its nuclear warheads on ballistic missiles, it would pose a major threat to countries in the region, including Japan," the study said.

Pyongyang's insistence on pressing ahead with uranium enrichment, along with an increase in the target range of ballistic missiles, is also alarming, it added.

"As of January 2012, the new regime under party and military leader Kim Jong-Un... may resort to missile firings, nuclear tests and other provocations to boost its national prestige and strengthen the regime's foundations," the report said.

"The security situation in the Korean Peninsula therefore remains as unpredictable as ever," it said.

North Korea had begun fuelling its rocket for launch on April 12 or 13, a media report said Thursday, the day after the United States suspended planned food aid.

North Korea insisted this week it would go ahead with what it calls a peaceful satellite launch, snubbing a call from US President Barack Obama to drop the plan and accusing him of a "confrontational mindset".

The United States has suspended plans to send food aid to North Korea, saying it has broken a promise to halt missile launches and cannot be trusted to give the aid to those who need it, a Pentagon official said Wednesday.

Under a deal reached last month, North Korea had agreed to a partial nuclear freeze and a missile test moratorium in return for 240,000 tonnes of US food aid.

But, said Akutsu, there would be a silver lining if North Korea goes ahead with the launch.

"It will... provide an opportunity for us to observe progress in North Korea's missile technology," he said.

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com




.
.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries


IAEA says still in talks with N. Korea on possible visit
Vienna (AFP) March 29, 2012 - The UN nuclear agency said Thursday it was still in talks with North Korea about a possible visit by inspectors, despite the US suspending plans to send food aid because of a looming rocket launch.

"Consultations are ongoing," International Atomic Energy Agency spokeswoman Gill Tudor told AFP via email. "There is no decision on the visit, including on whether (IAEA head Yukiya Amamo) will visit or not."

In late February Washington unveiled a deal to be monitored by the IAEA whereby Pyongyang would suspend nuclear tests and its uranium enrichment programme, with the United States announcing 240,000 tonnes of food aid.

A senior North Korean official said last week that the country had invited the Vienna-based agency to send inspectors. Two days later the IAEA said it had begun talks with Pyongyang about a possible visit.

But on Wednesday a senior Pentagon official said the plans to supply the food had been "suspended" because of North Korea's announcement of what it calls a satellite launch between April 12-16.

Western powers and North Korea's Asian neighbours have urged the nuclear-armed communist state to scrap the launch, seeing in it a pretext for testing ballistic missile technology banned under UN resolutions.



.

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



NUKEWARS
EU leaders urge N. Korea to scrap rocket launch plan
Seoul (AFP) March 28, 2012
European Union leaders Wednesday voiced "grave concern" at North Korea's missile and nuclear weapons programmes and called on it to scrap a long-range rocket launch scheduled for next month. European Council President Herman Van Rompuy said he was deeply worried by the North's plan to launch a satellite. The United States and other nations see the launch as a disguised missile test banned by ... read more


NUKEWARS
AREVA awarded funding for innovative biomass project

Biofuel cell generates electricity when implanted in False Death's Head Cockroach

New Synthetic Biology Technique Boosts Microbial Production of Diesel Fuel

Butterfly wings' 'art of blackness' could boost production of green fuels

NUKEWARS
Robotic Refueling Mission: Fueling up in Space

Robotic Technology Lends More Than Just a Helping Hand

Jellyfish inspires latest ocean-powered robot

Ecliptic RocketCams Capture Action on ISS During Initial Phase of Robotic Refueling Mission Demo

NUKEWARS
GDF SUEZ, VINCI, CDC Infrastructure and AREVA mobilized for offshore wind power

Real-World Wind Turbine Performance Metrics and Just-in-Time Predictive Maintenance Software

Denmark OKs ambitious green energy deal

GDF vows 6,000 jobs in French wind farm bid

NUKEWARS
Anti-Iran lobby hits GM-Peugeot deal

China's Dongfeng Motor posts 4.6% profit fall

Three-cylinder cars coming to U.S.

Space foil helping to build safer cars

NUKEWARS
Sudan seeks good relations with South: Bashir

Senate rejects 'Big Oil' tax breaks

PetroChina overtakes ExxonMobil in oil production

Total identifies source of North Sea gas leak

NUKEWARS
TEPCO asks for $12 bn capital injection

RWE, E.ON pull plug on British nuclear power venture

Bulgaria drops Russia nuclear power plant deal: PM

Watchdog warns US nuclear plant over mystery glitch

NUKEWARS
US sets new carbon standard for power plants

Calif. jail part of 'microgrid' project

Iberdrola awards $400M in smart grid buys

Australia lagging in carbon cuts

NUKEWARS
Indonesia land clearance 'wiping out' orangutans

Trace element plays major role in tropical forest nitrogen cycle

Tests New Tool to Guide Reintroduction of the American Chestnut

Electricity from trees


Memory Foam Mattress Review

Newsletters :: SpaceDaily Express :: SpaceWar Express :: TerraDaily Express :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News

.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement