Solar Energy News
NUKEWARS
N Korea says spy satellite launch ends in failure
N Korea says spy satellite launch ends in failure
by AFP Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) May 27, 2024

North Korea's latest attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit ended in a mid-air explosion, Pyongyang said late Monday, hours after its announcement of a planned launch was criticised by Seoul and Tokyo.

Putting a spy satellite into orbit has long been a top priority for Kim Jong Un's regime, and it claimed to have succeeded in November, after two failed attempts last year.

Seoul claims Kim received Russian technical assistance for that launch, in return for sending containers of weapons to Moscow for use in Ukraine.

But its attempt Monday to launch the "Malligyong-1-1" reconnaissance satellite ended in failure after it "exploded in the air during the first flight stage and failed to launch," the North's National Aerospace Technology Administration said in a statement.

An "expert review concluded that the cause of the accident was the operational reliability of the newly developed liquid oxygen and oil engine," the statement, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, added.

Japanese broadcaster NHK ran footage of what appeared to be a flaming projectile in the night sky, which then exploded into a fireball, saying it had filmed it from northeast China at the same time as the attempted launch.

Pyongyang had notified Japan earlier Monday that it was planning to put another satellite into orbit, prompting criticism from both Seoul and Tokyo, which urged Kim to call it off.

South Korea's military said it had detected the launch but that the satellite "is presumed to have exploded in the air".

"The South Korean and US intelligence authorities are analysing it in detail in close cooperation," the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

Nuclear-armed North Korea is barred by multiple UN resolutions from tests using ballistic technology, and analysts say there is significant technological overlap between space launch capabilities and the development of ballistic missiles.

The launch "is a provocative act that clearly violates the UN Security Council resolution prohibiting the use of ballistic missile technology," South Korea's military said.

The US Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM) called the launch a "brazen violation of multiple unanimous UN Security Council resolutions", and said in a statement that it "risks destabilising the security situation in the region and beyond".

Japan briefly issued an alert warning residents of southern Okinawa prefecture to take cover in shelters, but it was lifted minutes later.

- Hours after trilateral -

The attempted launch came just hours after Seoul, Beijing and Tokyo wrapped up their first trilateral summit since 2019.

South Korea's President Yoon Suk Yeol said Monday that another satellite launch -- North Korea's fourth attempt -- would "undermine regional and global peace and stability".

The South Korean military conducted attack formation flight and strike training on Monday to demonstrate "the strong capabilities and will of our military" after North Korea notified Japan of its plans to launch a satellite by June 4.

Experts say that spy satellites could improve North Korea's intelligence-gathering capabilities, particularly over South Korea, and provide crucial data in any military conflict.

Kim met President Vladimir Putin in Russia last September, and Putin suggested afterwards that his nation could help Pyongyang build satellites.

Seoul and Washington have both subsequently accused Pyongyang of shipping weapons to Moscow, with South Korea saying earlier this year that Pyongyang had sent thousands of containers of weapons to Russia for use in Ukraine.

A group of Russian engineers entered North Korea to help with the launch preparations, Yonhap reported Sunday, citing a government official.

North Korea claims the "Malligyong-1" satellite it put into orbit in November is successfully functioning, but Seoul's intelligence agency has cast down on this claim.

The North's two failed attempts last year included one in May which failed due to the "abnormal" startup of its second-stage engine, Pyongyang state media said at the time, and one in August which was attributed to an error in the "emergency blasting system".

Seoul's National Intelligence Service collected and analysed debris from one of Pyongyang's failed launches earlier last year, finding it had no military utility.

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
NUKEWARS
N Korea's Kim 'sincere' in Trump talks: Seoul's ex-president Moon
Seoul (AFP) May 21, 2024
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un offered to give up his nuclear arsenal if America guaranteed his regime would survive, former South Korean president Moon Jae-in said in a recently released memoir. Moon, who led South Korea for five years from 2017, was instrumental in brokering two high-profile summit meetings between Kim and then-United States president Donald Trump, aimed at securing Pyongyang's denuclearisation in return for sanctions relief. But after the second summit collapsed in 2019, dip ... read more

NUKEWARS
Singapore shipper claims milestone with bio-methanol refuelling

Studying bubbles can lead to more efficient biofuel motors

Chicken fat transformed into supercapacitor components

Kimchi Institute process upcycles cabbage byproducts into bioplastics

NUKEWARS
Elon Musk's xAI secures $6 billion in new funding

Govts, tech firms vow to cooperate against AI risks at Seoul summit

Google tweaking AI Overview after search result gaffes

OpenAI forms AI safety committee after key departures

NUKEWARS
Why US offshore wind power is struggling - the good, the bad and the opportunity

Robots enhance wind turbine blade production at NREL

Offshore wind turbines may reduce nearby power output

Wind Energy Expansion Planned for China's Rural Areas

NUKEWARS
Evergrande NEV shares more than double on potential sale

EU seeks roadblocks for Chinese EVs without sparking trade war

China's Xiaomi reports sales spike in first quarter

US Senate probe finds forced labor ties in automakers' imports

NUKEWARS
New discoveries about the nature of light could improve methods for heating fusion plasma

Tesla breaks ground on huge Shanghai battery plant

Flower or power? Campaigners fear lithium mine could kill rare plant

Using AI to improve, speed up plasma physics in fusion

NUKEWARS
Framatome secures contract for critical underground piping rehab at US nuclear plant

US, Philippines to train Filipinos in nuclear power

Framatome receives top marks in NRC safety review

US cites security, climate goals in Russian uranium ban

NUKEWARS
China emissions fall in March, may have peaked: report

White House to unveil 'unprecedented' 21-state initiative to modernize U.S. power grid

Power demand peaks in heatwave-hit Delhi, but temperature readings may be 'error'

Rich nations met $100 bn climate finance goal two years late: OECD

NUKEWARS
Vast concessions threaten Malaysia's forest: report

Deforestation in Brazil's Cerrado higher than in Amazon: report

Deforestation exacerbated deadly Brazil floods: experts

Half of mangrove ecosystems at risk: conservationists

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.