Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Nepal says 156 people killed in landslide, ends search
by Staff Writers
Lamosanghu, Nepal (AFP) Aug 06, 2014


A Nepalese resident (R) stands near his uncle's house which was destroyed in a landslide at Lamo Sanghu villge on the Sukoshi river, some 80 kms northeast of Kathmandu on August 5, 2014. Heavy rains on August 5, 2014, forced rescuers to stop their search for bodies buried under tonnes of mud, stones and upturned trees following the deadliest landslide to hit Nepal since 2005, police said. Thirty-four corpses, including seven children, have been pulled out from the rubble after a landslide slammed into hamlets along a river in Sindhupalchok district before dawn on August 2. Eyewitnesses and officials said at least 130 people remained unaccounted for as workers, using bulldozers and excavators, struggled to find bodies buried deep underground. Image courtesy AFP.

Nepal rescuers said Wednesday 156 people were presumed killed in a landslide that struck on the weekend, as they called off their search for remaining bodies buried in the debris.

Thirty-four bodies, including those of seven children, have been pulled from the rubble since Nepal's worst landslide in more than a decade slammed into hamlets in Sindhupalchok district on Saturday.

But rescuers said they have been forced to abandon the search for dozens still missing, fearing excavators and other heavy machinery being used could trigger more landslides in the muddy, mountainous area.

"It is not possible to keep searching for people any more here," local official Deep Raj Regmi told AFP by phone.

"Small landslides are happening even now and it is not safe to continue," he said from badly hit Lamosanghu village.

He said operations to clear the remaining debris could resume if the area was declared safe in the future.

Diaster management chief Yadav Prasad Koirala said "our latest estimates show that a total of 156 people were killed in the landslide, including those bodies already found."

The halt to the search came as thousands of villagers in India's eastern state of Bihar began returning home on Wednesday after the threat of floods from the landslide eased.

The landslide had dammed the Sunkoshi river, which flows across the border into Bihar as the Kosi river. Indian authorities feared tonnes of water would be unleashed in efforts to unblock the dam, flooding villages downstream.

But India's foreign minister Sushma Swaraj told parliament that flooding, which had forced tens of thousands to evacuate in recent days, had been averted.

"The flood threat in Bihar has been averted as Nepalese authorities have drained out water from the artificial lake created on the Kosi river through a controlled explosion," Swaraj said.

Scores of people die every year from flooding and landslides during Nepal's monsoon season.

More than 150 people were killed in July 2002 when multiple mudslides struck two villages in the eastern district of Khotang, in the deadliest landslide disaster to hit the Himalayan nation.

Saturday's landslide came as rescuers said 143 bodies have now been found in the western Indian state of Maharashtra where a major landslide destroyed a village last week.

At least 150 people are believed to have been killed there after a hill collapsed from heavy rains burying the village.

.


Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Sudan cabinet holds emergency meeting after 39 die in floods
Khartoum (AFP) Aug 05, 2014
Sudan's cabinet met in emergency session on Tuesday after flooding killed 39 people, destroyed thousands of homes and sparked complaints of government negligence. Interior Minister Ismat Abdul-Rahman told the meeting that "39 people died across the country, 17 of them from Khartoum state," the official SUNA news agency said. "Most of the country has been affected by above-normal heavy ra ... read more


DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye

Biofuels benefit energy security, Secretary Moniz says

German laws make biogas a bad bet, RWE Innogy says

U.S. looking for ways to make biofuels cheaper

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Japanese leader proposes first-ever 'Robot Olympics'

Astronauts to Test Free-Flying "Housekeeper" Robots

This time for the PLA: Chinese army shows off dancing robots

Wake up, robot

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Victoria tweaks Wind Farm Planning Rules

Low-carbon pool growing in British economy

Portuguese consortium to spend $300 million on wind

Fires are a major cause of wind farm failure

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China to punish Audi, Chrysler for 'monopoly' acts

First Electric Vehicle Charging Station Opened For California's PCH

Tesla loss widens as it ramps up expansion plan

China targets foreign auto sector with Mercedes probe

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Researchers uncover novel process for creation of fuel and chemical compounds

LEDs made from 'wonder material' perovskite

Study finds physical link to strange electronic behavior

OMV puts hydrogen at front for fuel strategy

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Ex-TEPCO execs should be charged over Fukushima: panel

Areva shares fall on first-half loss, lowered outlook

EDF shares jump on strong first-half results

Westinghouse strikes deal to build Bulgaria nuclear reactor

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Italy agrees to sell energy grid stake to China

Canada lobs economic shot across Russian energy bow

EU sets new energy savings target at 30%

U.S. ranks 13th among 16 economies in energy efficiency

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Selective logging takes its toll on mammals, amphibians

Urban heat boosts some pest populations 200-fold, killing red maples

Borneo deforested 30 percent over past 40 years

Reducing Travel Assisted Firewood Insect Spread




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.