Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




DEMOCRACY
Protesting Hong Kong students storm government complex
by Staff Writers
Hong Kong (AFP) Sept 26, 2014


Six Nobel laureates boycott summit over Dalai Lama visa
Cape Town (AFP) Sept 25, 2014 - Six Nobel peace laureates will boycott a global summit in South Africa next month after the government refused to grant the Dalai Lama a visa, a spokeswoman said Thursday.

South Africa denied Tibet's exiled spiritual leader permission to attend the summit to avoid angering China, which regards the Buddhist monk as a campaigner for Tibetan independence.

Six women will boycott the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Cape Town in solidarity, Rachel Vincent, communications director for the Canada-based Nobel Women's Initiative told AFP.

They are American activist Jody Williams, Iranian lawyer Shirin Ebadi, Liberian activist Leymah Gbowee, Yemeni journalist Tawakkol Karman, Northern Irish activist Mairead Maguire and a representative of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.

"The Dalai Lama advocates a nonviolent, negotiated solution to the Tibet problem," the Nobel Women's Initiative said in announcing the boycott.

Accusing China of putting political pressure on countries to limit the monk's freedom to travel, it noted "China's public declaration of thanks for South Africa's decision to block the spiritual leader from entering South Africa".

The decision by the six women comes after 14 peace laureates earlier this month sent a letter to President Jacob Zuma urging him to grant the Dalai Lama a visa for what will be the first summit of its kind in Africa.

There was no immediate word on whether the boycott would be joined by other laureates, with the summit organisers in Rome saying they had not yet had an official confirmation from the women.

The summit on October 13-15 is backed by foundations representing four South African peace laureates -- Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, F. W. De Klerk and Albert Luthuli.

Previous summits have been held in cities such as Rome, Paris, Chicago and Warsaw.

- 'Appalling treatment' -

Tutu, a retired Anglican archbishop who is a friend of the Dalai Lama, has so far avoided commenting on the boycott, with his spokesman referring all queries to the mayor of the host city, Patricia de Lille.

"South African laureates have written to all invitees encouraging them to attend in the interests of strengthening the global peace dialogue, and to send a message that the South African government's appalling treatment of the Dalai Lama will not go unchallenged," De Lille said.

Former president De Klerk, who won the Nobel alongside Mandela in 1993, has openly argued against a boycott.

"I think the message has gone out that boycotting the summit would be the very worst way of protesting," Dave Steward, executive director of the FW de Klerk Foundation, told AFP when the visa refusal was first made public.

"The best way would be to come to the summit and celebrate the 20th anniversary of our democracy and then make any views they want to make known at the summit."

Before the announcement of the boycott, the organisers said that along with the two surviving South Africans -- Tutu and De Klerk -- 13 individuals and eight organisations had confirmed that they would attend the summit, including former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev.

This is the third time the Dalai Lama has been barred from entry to South Africa, each refusal provoking a public outcry by South Africans who see it as a betrayal of the commitment to human rights embraced by their government after the end of apartheid 20 years ago.

When the monk was refused a visa in 2011 to give a lecture as part of celebrations for Tutu's 80th birthday, the anti-racism icon described Zuma's African National Congress government as "worse than the apartheid government".

The Dalai Lama was also denied a visa in 2009, but had visited three times before that and was personally welcomed by former president Mandela.

Dozens of protesters broke through the gates of Hong Kong's government headquarters late Friday in an ongoing student demonstration against Beijing's refusal to grant the city unfettered democracy.

Six people were arrested for offences ranging from forcibly entering government property and public disorder to assaulting an officer, police said in a statement.

Around 150 people pushed into the grounds of the complex, some scaling over a tall exterior fence, as others outside yelled "open the gates".

Police repeatedly used pepper spray on the protesters, who used umbrellas, surgical masks and goggles to protect themselves, an AFP reporter at the scene said.

Officers held up red signs warning people to "stop charging or we use force". Riot police wearing helmets and carrying shields arrived to push back the crowd in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Student groups are spearheading a civil disobedience campaign along with democracy activists in a days-long protest at Beijing's announcement last month that it would vet who can stand for Hong Kong's top post of chief executive at the next election.

By early Saturday, around 1,000 people were outside the Southern Chinese city's main government complex. Numbers had earlier swelled to more than 2,000 as secondary school pupils, some wearing uniforms, joined the university students.

In a statement police confirmed they had made six arrests of Hong Kong citizens aged 16 to 29, and that around 150 students had entered the government grounds. News footage showed officers taking away prominent student leader, Joshua Wong.

Early Saturday, a government statement had "expressed regret" that protesters had stormed the complex, saying security personnel, police officers and protesters had suffered injuries but without giving details.

"We don't care if we get hurt, we don't care if we get arrested, what we care about is getting real democracy," protester Wong Kai-keung said from the front line of the charge.

Teenage pupils -- many saying they had defied their parents' wishes -- earlier descended on Hong Kong's government headquarters to add their voices to a class boycott kicked off by university students on Monday.

Then on Thursday night, more than 2,000 people took their protest to the residence of Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying with the hope of speaking to him. Leung has so far refused to speak to the students or meet their leaders.

- 'Real not fake elections' -

Protests continued Friday morning with around 900 secondary school students as young as 13 gathering outside the city's main government complex shouting: "I want real elections not fake ones".

Chung Chun-wai, 17, said many of his friends joined the protest in defiance of their parents, highlighting the often sharp generational divide in the former British colony over its political future.

"I think secondary school students are a part of society and I consider myself a citizen of Hong Kong. That's why I think I need to bear the responsibility to care about society and to voice the real opinions of Hong Kongers," he said.

Organisers said around 3,000 people showed up to the secondary school strike.

Meanwhile around 300 people, mostly elderly retirees originally from mainland China, staged a counter-protest to support Beijing's decision in neighbouring Tamar Park, replacing students who had gathered there since Tuesday.

Occupy Central, a prominent grassroots pro-democracy group, has vowed to take over the city's Central financial district if its demand that Hong Kongers be allowed to nominate who can stand for leader is not met.

Occupy co-founder Benny Tai has previously hinted the takeover could begin on October 1, a national holiday when much of the district will be empty.

He told reporters at the city's Foreign Correspondents' Club on Friday: "After next week's action we may not be able to change the standing committee's decision immediately, but if we could have that very strong determination shown, I personally have the confidence that one day democracy will come to Hong Kong."

Last month China said Hong Kongers would be allowed to vote for their leader for the first time in 2017, but that only two or three candidates approved by a pro-Beijing committee could stand.

Britain handed Hong Kong back to China in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" agreement that allows it civil liberties not seen on the mainland, including free speech and the right to protest.

.


Related Links
Democracy in the 21st century at TerraDaily.com






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





DEMOCRACY
US capital votes to allow concealed firearms
Washington (AFP) Sept 23, 2014
City council members voted unanimously but reluctantly Tuesday to allow residents and visitors alike to carry concealed weapons n the streets of the US capital. The measure replaces Washington's longstanding ban on carrying firearms in public, which a federal judge in July declared unconstitutional. "We really don't want to move forward with allowing more guns in the District of Columbia ... read more


DEMOCRACY
Plant variants point the way to improved biofuel production

Search for better biofuels microbes leads to the human gut

3D imaging may improve understanding of biofuel plant materials

Ethanol fireplaces: the underestimated risk

DEMOCRACY
Blackout? Robots to the Rescue

Cutting the cord on soft robots

iRobot supplying its PackBots to Canada

Watch MIT's Atlas robot carry heavy objects

DEMOCRACY
UAE's Masdar joins mega wind project off Britain

Scottish renewable energy output up 30 percent from 2013

RWE Innogy gets new British wind energy running

Moventas to service two turbines in Eesti Energia's Aulepa wind park

DEMOCRACY
Reducing traffic congestion with wireless system

California Issues Permits for 29 Self-Driving Cars

GM expects record 2014 sales in China: executive

Car hacking: the security threat facing our vehicles

DEMOCRACY
Ditching coal a massive step to climate goal: experts

Novel capability enables first test of real turbine engine conditions

Water-Based Nuclear Battery Can Be Used To Generate Electrical Energy

China bans 'dirty' coal sale, imports

DEMOCRACY
Los Alamos researchers uncover new properties in nanocomposite oxide ceramics for reactor fuel, fast-ion conductors

AREVA wins additional contract from the US DoE for the development of Enhanced Accident Tolerant Fuel

South Africa says no Russian nuclear reactor deal, yet

Sandia magnetized fusion technique produces significant results

DEMOCRACY
New research suggests China's CO2 output is almost twice U.S.'s

Why China's Insatiable Appetite For Coal Has Likely Peaked

Study urges 15-year plan for low-carbon growth

IRENA: Outdated thinking curbing green energy momentum

DEMOCRACY
Water research tackles growing grassland threat: trees

Major palm oil companies to halt deforestation

Smithsonian Scientists Discover Tropical Tree Microbiome in Panama

Britain pledges funds in fight against deforestation




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.