Solar Energy News  
WAR REPORT
Saudi halts $3 bn in aid to Lebanon army: official
By Ian Timberlake
Riyadh (AFP) Feb 19, 2016


Lebanon's PM calls on Riyadh to reconsider halting aid to army
Beirut (AFP) Feb 19, 2016 - Lebanon's prime minister on Friday urged Saudi Arabia to reconsider a decision to suspend $3 billion in military aid in protest against Hezbollah, the Shiite militant group supporting Syria's regime.

"We were very sad to hear the Saudi kingdom's surprising decision to halt aid to the army and the internal security forces," Tammam Salam said in a statement, adding he hoped for "the review of the decision".

Riyadh earlier on Friday also said that the remainder of a $1 billion financing package for Lebanese internal security forces had been stopped, in a separate decision.

Hezbollah, backed by Saudi Arabia's regional rival Iran, on Friday said the decision came as no surprise and was linked to Riyadh's financial crisis.

"Saudi Arabia is suffering a severe financial crisis" which Hezbollah said was linked to "the huge cost of its sinful aggression on brotherly Yemen" and the collapse in global oil prices.

Riyadh leads a military coalition that has conducted air strikes and ground operations against Iran-backed Shiite Huthi rebels in Yemen since last March.

Last December, Saudi Arabia also formed a new 35-member coalition to fight "terrorism" in Islamic countries.

"The Saudi decision reveals once again the falsity of its claims in the fight against terrorism... and confirms its real position is that of sponsoring, arming and financing terrorism," Hezbollah said.

Sunni former premier Saad Hariri, who is supported by Saudi Arabia and the West, said Lebanese "received with feelings of regret and worry" the Saudi decision, but it was understandable as a response "to Lebanon's rash decisions to exit from the Arab consensus".

Oil-dependent Saudi Arabia has imposed unprecedented cuts in its 2016 budget after a drastic fall in global crude prices, which have dropped from above $100 a barrel in early 2014 to below $34 a barrel on Friday.

State Dept. approves $200M military support for Saudi Arabia
Washington (UPI) Feb 19, 2016 - A Saudi Arabian request for continued technical training and other support services from the U.S. military has received State Department approval.

The services would be performed by the U.S. Military Training Mission to Saudi Arabia, or USMTM, the Security Cooperation Organization responsible for identifying, planning, and executing U.S. Security Cooperation training and advisory support for the Saudi Arabia.

The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which manages the U.S. Foreign Military Sales program, notified Congress the value of the contract is about $200 million.

"Sustaining the USMTM supports Saudi Arabia in deterring hostile action and increases U.S. - Saudi Arabia military interoperability," it said.

Implementation of the deal would require the permanent or temporary assignment of as many as 202 case-funded U.S. government or contractor personnel to Saudi Arabia.

DSCA did not elaborate on the exact services to be provided to Saudi Arabia.ncy

Saudi Arabia said Friday it has halted a $3 billion programme for military supplies to Lebanon in protest against Hezbollah, the Shiite militant group fighting in support of Syria's regime.

In light of positions taken by Hezbollah the kingdom proceeded to "a comprehensive review of its relations with the Lebanese republic", an unnamed official told the Saudi Press Agency.

It added that the remainder of a $1 billion financing package for Lebanese internal security forces had also been stopped, in a separate decision.

A Lebanese military source told AFP that the "Lebanese army command hasn't been informed" of the Saudi aid halt.

Hezbollah, however, said the Saudi decision came as no surprise and "was taken quite some time ago".

The $3 billion deal funded military equipment provided by France. The modernisation programme, known in France as Donas, aimed to ensure stability in a Lebanon weakened by internal divisions and threatened by jihadists.

Alleged leaders of Lebanon-based Hezbollah are under sanction by Saudi Arabia.

Hezbollah is supported by the kingdom's regional rival Iran, with whom relations have worsened this year.

Riyadh cut diplomatic ties with Tehran last month after demonstrators stormed its embassy and a consulate following the Saudi execution of a prominent Saudi Shiite cleric and activist.

The official quoted by the Saudi Press Agency said the kingdom had noticed "hostile Lebanese positions resulting from the stranglehold of Hezbollah on the State".

Syria's war has exacerbated political rivalries within Lebanon, which has been without a president for almost two years because of fierce disagreements between Hezbollah and its rivals.

The Saudi official said Lebanon had not joined condemnation of the attacks on its diplomatic missions in Iran, either at the Arab League or the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.

- 'Rash decisions' -

He also deplored the "political and media campaigns inspired by Hezbollah against Saudi Arabia", as well as the group's "terrorist acts against Arab and Muslim nations".

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah on Tuesday accused Turkey and Saudi Arabia of dragging the entire region into war and said "victory" was imminent for his group and its Syrian regime allies.

Nasrallah said the two countries have pushed to send international ground forces to Syria because they "are not ready to accept a political solution to the conflict in Syria, which is why they want to continue the war and destroy it".

Saudi Arabia supports rebels opposed to Syria's government.

In a statement, Hezbollah said Saudi Arabia took the decision because of economic pressures from the war in Yemen, where it leads an Arab military coalition fighting Iran-backed rebels, and lower oil revenues.

"The entire world and especially the Lebanese and the local and international financial institutions know full well that Saudi Arabia is suffering a severe financial crisis," Hezbollah said.

Lebanon's other main political bloc is led by Sunni former prime minister Saad Hariri, who is supported by Saudi Arabia and the West.

Hariri said Lebanese "received with feelings of regret and worry" the Saudi decision, but it was understandable as a response "to Lebanon's rash decisions to exit from the Arab consensus".

The United Arab Emirates supported the Saudi move, which resulted from repeated Lebanese violations of Arab solidarity in a "blatant, offensive, disturbing and surprising" manner after Hezbollah "hijacked" Lebanon's agenda, the official WAM news agency reported, citing the foreign ministry.

The Donas programme was to ship vehicles, helicopters, drones, cannons and other equipment to Lebanon.

After an initial delivery of 48 Milan anti-tank missiles in April the programme was delayed as Saudi authorities sought a review of certain aspects of the deal, a French source said earlier.

But France's Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian later said "the execution of Donas resumed normally at the end of 2015", as reflected in the signing of contracts with the companies concerned.

This included a deal for about 200 armoured vehicles.

burs-it/srm


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

Previous Report
WAR REPORT
Israel army chief warns troops to use only 'necessary' force
Jerusalem (AFP) Feb 17, 2016
Israel's top soldier has warned his troops not to use excessive firepower in combating a wave of Palestinian violence in which many youthful attackers have died in the act. In remarks to high-school seniors heading for compulsory military service, he spoke of the role of Palestinian teenagers in the unrest that erupted in early October. "When there's a 13-year-old girl holding scissors o ... read more


WAR REPORT
Renewable fuels from algae boosted by NREL refinery process

Titan probes depths of biofuel's biggest barrier

Iowa State engineers develop hybrid technology to create biorenewable nylon

Researchers create synthetic biopathway to turn agriculture waste into 'green' products

WAR REPORT
Russia Developing Remote Controlled Robot for Space Tasks

When machines can do any job, what will humans do?

Intelligent robots threaten millions of jobs

Robotically driven system could reduce cost of discovering drug and target interactions

WAR REPORT
EU boasts of strides in renewable energy

Offshore U.K. to host world's largest wind farm

Germany aims to build wind energy reputation

Mechanical trees generate power as they sway in the wind

WAR REPORT
Plaintiffs sue Mercedes alleging emissions cheating

Pirelli shareholders approve Marco Polo Industrial Holding merger

Volvo Cars high-end drive pays off in 2015 profits

Automakers aren't doing enough to cut emissions: NGO

WAR REPORT
Explosive Growth Attracts Major Energy Storage Suppliers in Australia

Creation of Jupiter interior, a step towards room temp superconductivity

Clean energy from water

Footsteps could charge mobile electronics

WAR REPORT
Germany's RWE suspends dividends

EDF says extending life of 4 UK nuclear power stations

Moscow Ready to Fulfill Loan Obligations on Hungarian Paks NPP -Putin

Video of Belgian nuclear official seized in Paris attacks probe

WAR REPORT
The forecast for renewable energy in 2016

US, Canada and Mexico sign clean energy pact

Supreme Court deals blow to Obama climate plan

Online shopping about as "green" as a three dollar bill

WAR REPORT
Benefits of re-growing secondary forests explored through international collaboration

Drones learn to search forest trails for lost people

Secondary tropical forests absorb carbon at higher rate than old-growth forests

Forest losses increase local temperatures









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.