Solar Energy News  
EPIDEMICS
Second person dies from SARS-linked virus in China: official
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) Jan 17, 2020

Thais find second case linked to China mystery virus
Bangkok (AFP) Jan 17, 2020 - Thailand detected its second case of a mysterious SARS-linked virus in a visitor from China, health officials said Friday, as authorities ramp up airport screenings ahead of an expected surge in arrivals for Chinese New Year.

The 74-year-old Chinese woman is being treated at hospital after presenting with symptoms at Thailand's biggest airport Suvarnabhumi on January 13, according to the health ministry.

She was diagnosed with pneumonia linked to the new coronavirus, which has stirred alarm after killing two in China and hospitalising dozens. It has also been detected in Japan.

"People don't have to panic as there is no spread of the virus in Thailand," the ministry said in its statement.

The woman, whose condition is improving, arrived from the central Chinese city of Wuhan -- believed to be at the epicentre of the outbreak.

It came after Thai doctors diagnosed another Chinese traveller with mild pneumonia on January 8, later confirmed to have been caused by the new virus.

The World Health Organisation has said "much remains to be understood" about the coronavirus from the same family as SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which claimed hundreds of lives more than a decade ago.

During the upcoming holiday period, more than 1,300 passengers are expected to arrive in Thailand daily from Wuhan alone.

A second person has died in China from a mysterious SARS-linked virus that has stricken dozens and appeared in two other Asian countries, officials said.

Local authorities said a 69-year-old man died on Wednesday in Wuhan, the central Chinese city believed to be the epicentre of an outbreak of a coronavirus from the same family as the deadly SARS pathogen.

The outbreak has caused alarm because of the link with SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed 349 people in mainland China and another 299 in Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

At least 41 people have been hit with pneumonia linked to the new virus in China, prompting authorities in Hong Kong to step up detection measures, including temperature checkpoints for inbound travellers.

The Wuhan health commission said 12 people have recovered and been discharged from hospital, while five others were in serious condition.

The man who died had become sick on December 31 and his condition worsened on January 4, with pulmonary tuberculosis and multiple organ functions damaged, the commission said.

Two other cases have been detected -- in Thailand and Japan -- with health managers in both countries saying the patients had visited Wuhan prior to their hospitalisations.

Authorities in Wuhan said a seafood market was the centre of the outbreak. It was closed on January 1.

No human-to-human transmission of the virus behind the Wuhan outbreak has been confirmed so far, but the health commission has said the possibility "cannot be excluded".

- Cases outside China -

A World Health Organization (WHO) doctor has said that it would not be surprising if there was "some limited human-to-human transmission, especially among families who have close contact with one another".

The WHO said Thursday that "much remains to be understood about the new coronavirus".

Not enough was known about it to "draw definitive conclusions about how it is transmitted," a statement added.

The Wuhan health commission said one man who had been diagnosed worked at Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, but his wife, who also had the virus, reported "no history of exposure" at the facility.

The woman diagnosed in Thailand had not reported visiting the seafood market, the WHO said on Tuesday. She was reported to be in stable condition earlier this week.

The patient in Japan, who was released from hospital, had also not visited the market. Japanese officials said it was possible that the man had been in contact with a person infected with the virus while in Wuhan.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a Level 1 "Watch" alert for travellers to Wuhan, saying they should practise normal precautions and avoid contact with animals and sick people.

- Online censorship -

The increase in fatalities from the mysterious disease also comes as China prepares for its busiest travel season of the year, when millions of people take buses, trains and planes for Lunar New Year next week.

China has not announced any travel restrictions.

After the second death was reported, online discussion spread in China over the severity of the Wuhan coronavirus -- and how much information the government is hiding from the public.

Several complained about censorship of online posts, while others made comparisons to 2003, when Beijing drew criticism from the WHO for under-reporting the number of SARS cases.

"Scarier than panic is treating something too lightly," wrote a Chinese web-user on Weibo, the country's Twitter-like social media platform.

"It's so strange," wrote another, citing the overseas cases in Japan and Thailand. "They all have Wuhan pneumonia cases but we don't apart from Wuhan -- is that scientific?"


Related Links
Epidemics on Earth - Bird Flu, HIV/AIDS, Ebola


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


EPIDEMICS
China sees 2nd death as cases spread among families; Japan reports first case
Beijing (AFP) Jan 17, 2020
A second person has died in China from a mystery virus that has stricken dozens and appeared in two other Asian countries, officials said. Local authorities said a 69-year-old man died on Wednesday in Wuhan, the central Chinese city believed to be the epicentre of an outbreak of a coronavirus from the same family as the deadly SARS pathogen. The outbreak has caused alarm because of the link with SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed 349 people in mainland China and another 299 i ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

EPIDEMICS
How to make it easier to turn plant waste into biofuels

EU project RES URBIS shows the viability of bioplastic generation with urban biowaste

From a by-product of the biodiesel industry to a valuable chemical

Low-temp photocatalyst could slash the carbon footprint for syngas

EPIDEMICS
Anatomy of a Rover: The Mechanics of a Winning Student Vehicle Design

Team builds the first living robots

Can sea star movement inspire better robots?

Raytheon tapped for self-evaluating machine learning system

EPIDEMICS
Britain's green energy sector brightens: survey data

Consider marine life when implementing offshore renewable power

Supporting structures of wind turbines contribute to wind farm blockage effect

Saving bats from wind turbine death

EPIDEMICS
More dieselgate fines as CEO says VW has 'one shot' to survive shift to digital era

German minister confirms US threat of higher EU car export tariffs

Bollywood star slams Uber after 'scariest experience'

Liability in the age of driverless vehicles

EPIDEMICS
Some batteries can be pushed too far

A breath of fresh air for longer-running batteries

A new method to study lithium dendrites could lead to better, safer batteries

Utilizing relativistic effects for laser fusion

EPIDEMICS
Japan court halts nuclear reactor restart citing volcano, quake risks

Austria fails to win over neighbours for nuclear phase-out

Iran says 'daily enrichment' of uranium higher than 2015

UAE to start first nuclear reactor in 'months': officials

EPIDEMICS
Davos faces up to towering global challenges

BlackRock to clean up investment portfolio, CEO says

EU lays out trillion-euro 'Green Deal'

Study reveals global sustainability efforts play out on local level

EPIDEMICS
Amazon indigenous leaders accuse Brazil of 'genocide' policy

Amazon tribes meet to counter Bolsonaro environmental threats

Deforestation in Brazil's Amazon up 85 percent in 2019

Peru to plant one million trees around Machu Picchu









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.