Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




CYBER WARS
Surveillance program thwarted attacks, US spy chief says
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) June 13, 2013


Hong Kongers to protest in support of US whistleblower
Hong Kong (AFP) June 12, 2013 - Up to a thousand supporters of US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden are expected to stage a protest in Hong Kong on Saturday to call on the government to protect him, organisers told AFP.

The protesters, set to include lawmakers, will march first to the US consulate and then government headquarters, urging the administration of the semiautonomous territory to not extradite the former CIA technical assistant who blew the lid on a vast electronic surveillance programme.

"We should protect him. We are calling on the HK government to defend freedom of speech," Tom Grundy, a rally spokesman said Wednesday.

"We don't know what law he may or may not have broken but if Beijing has a final say, they don't have to extradite him if he is a political dissident," he told AFP.

The city of seven million has maintained a degree of autonomy since its handover to China in 1997 but its mini constitution, the Basic Law, stipulates that Beijing has control over affairs related to defence and foreign affairs.

Officials of the territory and the US signed an extradition treaty a year before the city was handed over from Britain to China in 1997, but victims of political prosecution are not covered.

The treaty, signed with Beijing's "authorisation", also gives a right of refusal should extradition impinge on the "defence, foreign affairs or essential public interest or policy" of China.

The 29-year-old Snowden identified himself as the source of the leak about a secret US Internet Surveillance programme over the weekend.

He said in a video interview from Hong Kong posted on website of The Guardian newspaper Sunday that he chose the city as a refuge because of its "strong tradition of free speech".

Since then, he has managed to evade journalists hunting him down and apparently checked out of his Hong Kong hotel on Monday.

The Hong Kong-based Apple Daily newspaper reported Wednesday the city's immigration department had no records of Snowden leaving the territory, citing unidentified sources, while the Guardian said: "It is thought he is now in a safe house."

Grundy told AFP that he expected a "four-figure" turnout on Saturday.

"We have got different groups involved. Everyone is welcome," Grundy said.

Several lawmakers have agreed to take part in a discussion forum following the protest, including prominent pro-democracy politician Albert Ho, according to Grundy.

"Dozens" of terror attacks had been thwarted by a program to gather and analyze massive amounts of Internet and phone data, the National Security Agency chief told US lawmakers Wednesday.

Facing skeptical questions from lawmakers after a rogue technician leaked the secret operation, NSA chief General Keith Alexander, who also heads the US Cyber Command, insisted that the program is legal and operates under judicial oversight.

"It's classified but it's dozens of terrorist events that these have helped prevent," he told the hearing, the first time he had been questioned in public since 29-year-old former contractor Edward Snowden spilled the beans.

"I want the American people to know that we're being transparent in here," he insisted, warning that "the trust of the American people" was a "sacred requirement" if his agency was to be able to do its job.

Could the revelation help terrorists avoid surveillance? "They will get through, and Americans will die," Alexander said. "Great harm has already been done by opening this up. The consequence I believe is our security has been jeopardized."

Snowden, a technician working for a private contractor and assigned to an NSA base in Hawaii, disappeared last month after downloading a cache of secret documents and surfaced over the weekend in Hong Kong to give media interviews.

China has said little on the case, and on Thursday appeared to keep its distance.

"I have no information to offer," Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters in Beijing when asked about Snowden, who is hiding in China's semi-autonomous southern territory.

Hua dodged questions about whether Washington had approached Beijing seeking Snowden's extradition, and how China would react if Snowden applied for asylum.

Snowden told Hong Kong daily the South China Morning Post that he would resist any attempt at extradition.

Chinese state media has also remained relatively quiet on the case, but the China Daily said Thursday that news of the US program "is certain to stain Washington's overseas image and test developing Sino-US ties."

"How the case is handled could pose a challenge to the burgeoning goodwill between Beijing and Washington given that Snowden is in Chinese territory and the Sino-US relationship is constantly soured on cybersecurity," the government-owned newspaper said.

Snowden embarrassed and infuriated President Barack Obama's administration by revealing that the NSA had gathered call log records for millions of US phone subscribers and targeted the Internet data of foreign Web users.

While some hail Snowden as a whistleblower who carried out an act of civil disobedience to expose US government overreach, others -- including US spy chiefs and some senior lawmakers -- say he is a traitor.

Alexander said he had "grave concerns" about how Snowden was able to gain access to critical classified information with a limited education and little work experience.

Several investigations are underway and Snowden may yet face criminal charges, but in the meantime, debate is raging about the legality and utility of the NSA's broad-brush approach to sweeping up private data.

"How do we get from reasonable grounds... to all phone records, all the time, all locations?" asked Senator Jeff Merkley, a supporter of limiting government surveillance powers.

Holding up his own phone, he asked Alexander: "What authority gave you the grounds for acquiring my cell phone data?"

The general repeated the administration's defense that, while the NSA did gather large quantities of telephone metadata, it could not mine the logs to target a specific user without authorization from a secret court.

"We do not see a trade-off between security and liberty," he said, insisting that the NSA and US Cyber Command are "deeply committed to compliance with the law and the protection of privacy rights."

Alexander however said he welcomed the "debate" sparked by the leaks.

Senator Mark Udall expressed skepticism at this nod to openness.

"It's very, very difficult, I think, to have a transparent debate about a secret program written by a secret court, issuing secret court orders based on secret interpretations of the law," he said.

In Hong Kong, Snowden was unrepentant.

"I'm neither traitor nor hero. I'm an American," he said.

Snowden told the South China Morning Post there had been more than 61,000 NSA hacking operations globally, targeting powerful "network backbones" that can yield access to hundreds of thousands of individual computers.

There were hundreds of targets in mainland China and Hong Kong, he was quoted as saying, alleging this exposed "the hypocrisy of the US government when it claims that it does not target civilian infrastructure."

Snowden accused the US government of "trying to bully" Hong Kong into expelling him before he can reveal details of alleged NSA snooping on communications inside the Chinese financial and trading hub.

He also pledged to resist any extradition attempt.

"I have had many opportunities to flee HK, but I would rather stay and fight the US government in the courts, because I have faith in HK's rule of law," he said, according to the paper.

burs-cdh/ch/vjf

.


Related Links
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








CYBER WARS
Surveillance leak could strain US-China ties: media
Beijing (AFP) June 13, 2013
The disclosure of a huge US electronic surveillance programme will test US-China relations already strained by Washington's accusations of cyber-spying by Beijing, state media said on Thursday. Chinese media had remained relatively quiet during a public holiday about bombshell revelations by a former US government subcontractor of massive phone and Internet spying. Adding to the diplomat ... read more


CYBER WARS
Biofuels will play integral role in California's energy future

Climate change raises stakes on US ethanol policy

Scotland gives green light to $710M wood biomass heat-power plant

Enzyme from wood-eating gribble could help turn waste into biofuel

CYBER WARS
When Will My Computer Understand Me

Space droids calling

NASA Awards Sample Return Robot Centennial Challenge Prize

Firefighting Robot Paints 3D Thermal Imaging Picture for Rescuers

CYBER WARS
Prysmian Group To Showcase At 2013 RenewableUK Offshore Wind In Manchester

Quantum To Buy 10 Megawatt Trout Creek Wind Farm

Enovos opens 10 MW wind farm

Uruguay deficit likely to speed windpower plans

CYBER WARS
EU takes Germany to task over new auto coolant rules

Study finds speech-to-text risks behind the wheel

China auto sales growth slows in May: group

French electric car share program sets sights on Indy

CYBER WARS
Three Chinese ships in disputed waters: Japan

Britain, Saudi discuss military ties: agency

Molecular 'sieves' harness ultraviolet irradiation for greener power generation

Iraq to get $6 trillion from energy in new strategy

CYBER WARS
Fukushima official Twitter tirade under fire in Japan

EU wants six-yearly post-Fukushima nuclear stress tests

Japan's first lady says she is 'anti-nuclear'

Japan PM to step up nuclear export drive: report

CYBER WARS
China is outsourcing carbon within its own borders

UMD scientists publish key findings on regional, global impact of trade on the environment

Wood as energy source not as 'green' in carbon terms as thought

Asia needs 'energy settlement'

CYBER WARS
Whitebark Pine Trees: Is Their Future at Risk

Brazil's restive natives step protests over land rights

Brazilian official resigns over indigenous protests

Brazil police deployed to contain land feud




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement