Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




THE STANS
Syria Kurds flee from IS jihadists into Turkey
by Staff Writers
Suruc, Turkey (AFP) Sept 21, 2014


Wife of British IS hostage pleads for his release
London (AFP) Sept 20, 2014 - The wife of a British taxi driver being held hostage by Islamic State jihadists implored his captors to release him, saying Saturday she could not see how his death could assist any cause.

Alan Henning, a Briton who volunteered to drive a humanitarian aid convoy to Syria for a Muslim charity, was captured 10 months ago and is in the hands of the IS group.

In a statement released through Britain's Foreign Office, Barbara Henning urged his captors to "see it in their hearts to release my husband", given the circumstances in which he was in Syria.

The 47-year-old father of two teenage children was shown in the same video released a week ago that documented the gruesome murder of fellow Briton David Haines.

"Alan is a peaceful, selfless man who left his family and his job as a taxi driver in the UK to drive in a convoy all the way to Syria with his Muslim colleagues and friends to help those most in need," his wife said.

"When he was taken he was driving an ambulance full of food and water to be handed out to anyone in need.

"His purpose for being there was no more and no less. This was an act of sheer compassion.

"I cannot see how it could assist any state's cause to allow the world to see a man like Alan dying."

Barbara Henning said she had been trying to communicate with IS and had sent some "really important messages" but had received no response.

"I pray that the people holding Alan respond to my messages and contact me before it is too late," she said.

"When they hear this message I implore the people of the Islamic State to see it in their hearts to release my husband Alan Henning."

The taxi driver's family live in Manchester, northwest England. He joined a group of Muslim friends who founded the charity "Aid4Syria" and even had the name tattooed on his arm.

Tens of thousands of Syrian Kurds flooded into Turkey on Saturday, fleeing an onslaught by the jihadist Islamic State group that prompted an appeal for international intervention.

The massive influx came as 46 Turks kidnapped by IS jihadists in Iraq in June were freed and returned home for emotional reunions with their families.

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said more than 60,000 Syrian Kurds had crossed into the country since the border was opened on Friday.

The exodus was prompted by intense clashes between IS and Kurdish fighters trying to hold off the jihadists' assault on the town of Ain al-Arab, known as Kobane by the Kurds.

It is the third-largest Kurdish town in Syria and a strategic prize because it lies on the border with Turkey in northern Aleppo province.

Since Tuesday night, IS fighters have been advancing on the town, hoping to seize it and secure their control over a large swathe of Syria's northern border with Turkey.

The group has seized at least 63 surrounding villages in a lightning offensive, although the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, said 18 IS fighters were killed in clashes overnight.

It said 13 jihadists were killed on Saturday, and that 25 Kurdish fighters have been killed since Tuesday.

On Saturday, the Observatory said 300 Kurdish fighters had entered Syria from Turkey to reinforce the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) fighting IS.

- Children, elderly flee -

People of all ages were among those seeking shelter in Turkey, including a child clutching a sibling's hand as they fled across the dusty border and an elderly wheelchair-bound woman helped by relatives.

"The IS came to our village and threatened everyone. They bombed our village and destroyed all the houses. They beheaded those who chose to stay," said Mohammed Isa, 43, who left with his family of seven.

Turkish forces cut the barbed wire along the border to allow the refugees to enter while soldiers and aid workers handed out food and water.

The jihadists' advances have prompted calls from Syria's opposition and Kurdish officials for international action, with one leader warning of "ethnic cleansing".

The United States has organised a coalition of countries to battle IS jihadists who have declared an Islamic "caliphate" in parts of Syria and Iraq and carried out atrocities including beheadings and crucifixions.

American warplanes have launched a total of 183 air strikes across Iraq, targeting IS vehicles, checkpoints and outposts.

US President Barack Obama plans to make his case against IS at the UN General Assembly next week in a bid to garner more international support.

The Syrian opposition National Coalition urged international air strikes to "stop mass atrocities" if IS advances into Ain al-Arab.

"Air strikes are needed to help opposition forces protect vulnerable civilians," the coalition's US representative Najib Ghadbian said.

And Salih Muslim Mohamed, a leader of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), urged the West to help Ain al-Arab avoid the fate of the Iraqi town of Sinjar, which has been emptied of its Yazidi minority residents in the wake of an IS onslaught.

"Kobane is facing the most barbaric attack in its history," he warned.

"If you want to avoid an ethnic cleansing even more barbaric than that in Sinjar, you must support Kobane because the next few hours will be decisive," he added in a statement late Friday.

Obama said last week he was ready to launch strikes on IS fighters in Syria, expanding the campaign already underway in Iraq, but so far there have been none.

The Observatory reported on Saturday that IS militants had executed at least 11 Kurds, and that the fate of some 800 residents who fled their villages remained "unknown".

- Emotional return -

As Turkey dealt with the arrivals on its southern border, the government in Ankara welcomed home the 46 Turks taken hostage by IS in the Iraqi city of Mosul in June. Three Iraqis were also detained.

It was unclear how the group, abducted from Turkey's consulate in Mosul, had been freed, though President Recep Tayyip Erdogan referred to a "secret operation".

There were emotional and triumphant scenes on their return, with Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu cutting short a trip to Azerbaijan to greet them.

"Early in the morning our citizens were handed over to us and we brought them back into our country," Davutoglu told reporters before leaving Baku.

"There are unnamed heroes, like those who brought our citizens back to Turkey," he told cheering crowds at the airport back in Ankara.

Meanwhile the wife of a British taxi driver held hostage by IS jihadists released a statement imploring his captors to free him, saying she "cannot see how it could assist any state's cause to allow the world to see a man like Alan dying."

Alan Henning volunteered to drive a humanitarian aid convoy to Syria for a Muslim charity but was captured 10 months ago by the IS group.

burs-sah/hmn/mtp

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








THE STANS
China tries Uighur professor for separatism
Urumqi, China (AFP) Sept 17, 2014
Chinese authorities put a prominent scholar from the mostly-Muslim Uighur minority on trial for separatism Wednesday as critics warned the prosecution will worsen tensions in violence-wracked Xinjiang. Ilham Tohti, a former economics professor at a university in Beijing, denied the charges - which carry a life sentence - at a court in the regional capital Urumqi. "We don't see anything ... read more


THE STANS
3D imaging may improve understanding of biofuel plant materials

Ethanol fireplaces: the underestimated risk

ACCESS II Confirms Jet Biofuel Burns Cleaner

Scientists create renewable fossil fuel alternative using bacteria

THE STANS
Cutting the cord on soft robots

iRobot supplying its PackBots to Canada

Watch MIT's Atlas robot carry heavy objects

DARPA issues RFI for robotic space services for satellites

THE STANS
RWE Innogy gets new British wind energy running

Moventas to service two turbines in Eesti Energia's Aulepa wind park

Wind Turbines Outperforming Expectations at Honda Transmission Plant

Stealth wind turbines to become operational in France in 2015

THE STANS
BYU electric car sets new E1 land speed record at 204 mph

Nissan to make luxury cars in new China joint venture

Automaker gets first permit in the Golden State

150-car pile-up kills two in Netherlands

THE STANS
Ditching coal a massive step to climate goal: experts

China bans 'dirty' coal sale, imports

Cutting the cloud computing carbon cost

Study sheds new light on why batteries go bad

THE STANS
South Africa in '$50 bn deal' for Russian nuclear reactors

Japan minister attempts to convince public on nuclear

Britain's blockbuster nuclear deal to get EU nod

Finnish Greens quit government in nuclear row

THE STANS
New research suggests China's CO2 output is almost twice U.S.'s

Why China's Insatiable Appetite For Coal Has Likely Peaked

Study urges 15-year plan for low-carbon growth

IRENA: Outdated thinking curbing green energy momentum

THE STANS
Major palm oil companies to halt deforestation

Britain pledges funds in fight against deforestation

Smithsonian Scientists Discover Tropical Tree Microbiome in Panama

Global change: Trees continue to grow at a faster rate




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.