Solar Energy News  
NUKEWARS
UN chief welcomes reopened Korean hotline
by Staff Writers
United Nations, United States (AFP) Jan 3, 2018


North Korea's chilling new weapon: ICBM made of ice
Seoul (AFP) Jan 3, 2018 - North Koreans attending Pyongyang's ice sculpture festival have been treated to a chilling glimpse of the country's latest weaponry -- an ICBM in frozen form.

The official Rodong Sinmun newspaper ran a report on Wednesday showing smiling spectators dressed in thick winter coats posing in front of the replica on New Year's Eve, waving cameras and smartphones to grab a shot.

Pyongyang says the weapon depicted in the sculpture, a Hwasong-15 intercontinental ballistic missile, which it tested in November, is capable of hitting the US mainland.

"The ice sculpture recalled the November incident which had caused tremendous excitement for tens of millions of soldiers and people," the paper said.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un used his annual New Year address to warn he has a "nuclear button" on his table, but reached out to Seoul and appealed for warmer ties, in a move that could presage something of a thaw in relations between the two.

Pyongyang said on Wednesday it would reopen a hotline with Seoul to discuss attending the Winter Olympics in the South.

Kim's comments came after a year that saw multiple missile launches by the North and its sixth and most powerful nuclear test -- purportedly of a hydrogen bomb.

Other sculptures on display at the Pyongyang Ice Sculpture Festival, which opened on Kim Il-Sung Square on Sunday, included North Korean landmarks, dolphins, a fishing boat and a tractor.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday welcomed the reopening of a hotline between North and South Korea, and voiced hope for more diplomatic initiatives to end the peninsula's nuclear standoff.

North and South Korea earlier Wednesday reopened the communication channel that had been shut since 2016, following an offer from North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un to send a team to next month's Winter Olympics in South Korea.

"It is always a positive development to have a dialogue between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea," said UN spokesman Farhan Haq.

Guterres "welcomes the reopening of the inter-Korean communication channel," he added.

UN Security Council resolutions call for the de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula and "we hope that enhanced diplomatic initiatives will help to achieve that goal," said Haq.

South Korea has offered to hold talks with the North on January 9 to discuss "matters of mutual interest" including the North's Olympic participation.

Guterres' support for inter-Korean dialogue stood in contrast to remarks from US Ambassador Nikki Haley, who on Tuesday dismissed the overtures between Pyongyang and Seoul as a "Band-Aid".

The United States, backed by Japan, is pushing for sanctions and total isolation of Kim's regime in response to a series of missile launches and nuclear tests.

Russia, and North Korea's sole major ally China, have repeatedly called for talks to de-escalate tensions, but the United States has been adamant that Pyongyang must first freeze its military programs.

Haley warned on Tuesday that if Pyongyang carries out another missile test, it would face the likelihood of even more sanctions.

The Security Council adopted a new raft of sanctions on December 22 to restrict oil supplies to North Korea -- the third set of measures imposed on Pyongyang in a year.

Pyongyang to reopen inter-Korean hotline after Seoul proposes talks
Seoul (AFP) Jan 3, 2018 - North Korea said Wednesday it will reopen a hotline with the South to discuss attending the Winter Olympics, forging ahead with peace overtures despite taunts from US President Donald Trump who said he has a "much bigger" nuclear button than Kim Jong-Un.

The hotline, which was cut by the North in 2016, is to be restored at 0630 GMT after Seoul proposed high-level talks in response to an olive branch from the North's leader ahead of next month's Pyeongchang Games.

Kim's overtures to the South marked a rare softening in tone, as tensions over its banned weapons programme have surged in recent months following a flurry of missile launches and its most powerful nuclear test yet.

Seoul responded with an offer to hold talks on January 9 -- the first since 2015 -- to discuss "matters of mutual interest" including Kim's suggestion that the reclusive nation could participate in the Olympics.

But Kim's New Year address also included a warning to the US that he has a "nuclear button" on his table, prompting a furious response from President Trump via Twitter.

"North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the 'Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.'

"Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!" he said.

Trump's remarks came as his ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley dismissed Seoul's offer to hold talks, calling it a "band-aid".

US State Department spokesman Heather Nauert also warned that Kim "may be trying to drive a wedge of some sort between the two nations -- between our nation and the Republic of Korea".

But the rapprochement seemed to be moving ahead on Wednesday, with Kim welcoming Seoul's support for his overtures, according to Ri Son-gwon, the head of North Korea's agency handling inter-Korean affairs.

- Hotline 'very significant' -

The two countries, which are divided by a Demilitarized Zone since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, last held high-level talks in 2015 to try to ease tensions.

The hotline, located in the truce village of Panmunjom, remained operational until February 2016, with operators from both countries checking it twice a day.

The channel was shut down when relations deteriorated over a dispute involving the Kaesong industrial complex, which was jointly operated by both countries.

Seoul welcomed Pyongyang's decision to reopen the hotline as "very significant", with chief presidential press secretary Yoon Young-chan saying "it creates an environment where communication will be possible at all times".

South Korean President Moon Jae-In has long favoured engagement with the nuclear-armed North, but the Trump administration insists the regime must give up its weapons drive before any negotiations can take place.

Ambassador Haley told reporters that Washington could not take the talks seriously "if they don't do something to ban all nuclear weapons in North Korea".

North Korea has shrugged off a raft of new sanctions and heightened rhetoric from Washington as it drives forward with its weapons program, which it says is for defence against US aggression.

Pyongyang claims it needs nuclear weapons to protect itself from a hostile Washington and has striven to create a warhead capable of targeting the US mainland with an atomic warhead.

Moon on Tuesday welcomed Kim's olive branch as a "positive response" to Seoul's hopes that the Pyeongchang Olympics would be a "groundbreaking opportunity for peace".

But any rapprochement between the two countries will take place against a backdrop of suspicion, if not outright hostility, by Washington, with Trump and Kim exchanging angry insults since the US leader took office a year ago.

Trump has mocked Kim as "fat" and a "little rocket man." Kim, for his part has described Trump as a "mentally deranged US dotard."

NUKEWARS
Hundreds of North Koreans still working in Poland
Warsaw (AFP) Jan 3, 2018
Around 400 North Koreans are still working in Poland but the EU member has not issued any new work permits since August last year in compliance with a UN resolution, the Polish labour minister said Wednesday. New UN sanctions passed against North Korea last month ban the supply of nearly 75 percent of refined oil products to Pyongyang, cap crude deliveries and order all North Koreans working ... read more

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

NUKEWARS
Farmers in Kenya willing, able to ramp up croton nut output for biofuel

A catalytic balancing act

Locating the precise reaction path: Methane dissociation on platinum

A fossil fuel technology that doesn't pollute

NUKEWARS
Robots and humans: How to improve physical interaction

Scientists design muscles for shape-shifting, cell-sized robots

Scientists teach robots how to respect personal space

Machine learning will change jobs

NUKEWARS
The wave power farm off Mutriku could improve its efficiency

Turkey gets European loan for renewable energy

Oil-rich Alberta sees momentum for wind energy

Construction to start on $160 million Kennedy Energy Park in North Queensland

NUKEWARS
More than half of Norway's new cars electrified: data

VW to build autonomous cars with Silicon Valley firm

Tesla again delays target for ramping up Model 3 output

China's Didi buys Brazil's 99 in new Uber challenge; BlackBerry, Baidu in autonomous vehicle deal

NUKEWARS
HP recalls computer batteries over fire risk

Modeling helped to improve the configuration of an autonomous heat supply unit

Exploring electrolysis for energy storage

Thermoelectric power generation at room temperature: Coming soon?

NUKEWARS
Dominion Energy to buy troubled SCANA and shuttered nuclear projects

REVA NP installs I and C upgrade at Krsko nuclear power plant

Struggling Westinghouse Electric sold to Brookfield for $4.6 bn

New model considers an extra factor to improve our prediction of nuclear fission

NUKEWARS
Alaskan microgrids offer energy resilience and independence

Science for a resilient EU power grid

U.S. blizzard to test gas, electric markets

'Virtual gold' may glitter, but mining it can be really dirty

NUKEWARS
North Atlantic Oscillation dictates timing of tree reproduction in Europe

African deforestation not as great as feared

Cascading use is also beneficial for wood

New maps show shrinking wilderness being ignored at our peril









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.