Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Solar Energy News .




TERROR WARS
US-led Syria strikes hit Qaeda, Islamist rebels
by Staff Writers
Beirut (AFP) Nov 06, 2014


Kurdish woman shot dead on Syria-Turkey border: reports
Suruc, Turkey (AFP) Nov 06, 2014 - A Kurdish female activist was shot dead Thursday on the Syria-Turkey border near the besieged Syrian town of Kobane, allegedly by the Turkish security forces, reports said.

The pro-Kurdish Firat news agency said that Kader Ortakaya, 28, was killed when Turkish security forces opened fire using live ammunition on a protest at the border.

Witnesses who spoke to AFP confirmed there had been a fatal shooting but said the woman had been part of a group of Kurds who tried to cross over the border towards Kobane.

There was no statement on the incident from the Turkish army.

Ortakaya was described as a post-graduate student from Turkey's Sanliurfa region.

Since Islamic State (IS) jihadists started besieging Kobane, Turkey has taken in some 200,000 mainly Kurdish Syrian refugees from the region.

But it has prevented Kurdish activists from crossing the other way from Turkey to Syria, fearing the creation of a strong cross-border Kurdish militia.

The only exception has been the permission granted by Turkey for a contingent of Iraqi Kurdish peshmerga fighters to cross its soil to join the fight for Kobane.

The Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) has fought Turkish security forces in a three decade insurgency for Kurdish self-rule.

US-led air strikes in Syria hit Al-Qaeda-linked militants and an Islamist rebel brigade in a rare expansion of weeks-long raids targeting the Islamic State group, a monitor said Thursday.

American media reported that 24-year-old French bomb-maker David Drugeon, a Muslim convert who joined an Al-Qaeda offshoot, the Khorasan group, was killed in the overnight strikes.

"We think we got him," a senior US defence official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity, adding that it would take time to confirm his death with absolute certainty.

The raids hit Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front for only the second time since the US-led coalition began bombings in the war-torn country on September 23, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Strikes near the Turkish border also targeted the Ahrar al-Sham rebel group for the first time, the British-based monitoring group said.

The Ahrar al-Sham rebel brigade is believed to have between 10,000 and 20,000 fighters and espouses a conservative ideology, though it has not expressed the same transnational jihadist aspirations as Al-Nusra or IS.

But many of its top leaders have ties to Al-Qaeda and the group has fought alongside Al-Nusra against other moderate rebel groupings in parts of northern Syria.

US media reported that an air strike hit a vehicle in Syria's Idlib province, believed to be carrying Drugeon.

Fox News, citing "well-placed military sources", said the car's driver lost a leg and was not expected to live, while a passenger believed to be Drugeon was killed.

- 'Assessing outcome' -

"We are still assessing the outcome of the attack," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steven Warren told AFP.

The Syria conflict began as an uprising against President Bashar al-Assad's regime in 2011 and has since escalated into a multi-sided civil war that has drawn thousands of jihadists from overseas.

The fighting has continued despite the US-led raids, with at least 12 people killed in two regime barrel bomb raids in the northern city of Aleppo on Thursday, the Observatory said.

Also Thursday, Syrian troops backed by pro-regime militiamen recaptured the Shaer gas field in central Homs, state television reported, a week after IS jihadists overran parts of it.

The air strikes against Al-Nusra also killed several jihadists and two children in Idlib province while six jihadists were killed in raids in Aleppo, according to the Observatory, which relies on a network of sources on the ground.

The Al-Qaeda affiliate confirmed the strikes on Twitter, saying they were carried out by "the alliance of Crusaders and Arabs on Al-Nusra positions, causing deaths, mostly of civilians".

On the first day of the US-led campaign in Syria Washington said it had struck a group of Al-Qaeda veterans that it called "Khorasan", although analysts said the militants belonged to Al-Nusra.

Until now there had been no other reported strikes on groups outside IS.

The latest raids came after Al-Nusra made gains against Western-backed rebel fighters in the Idlib region.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Ahrar al-Sham also confirmed its base near the Bab al-Hawa border crossing had been hit, saying the raids "benefit only the criminal (Syrian) regime".

- Seeking 'advanced weapons' -

Speaking to Lebanon's Al-Akhbar newspaper, meanwhile, Syria's Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said Washington had pledged that the coalition strikes would not target the Syrian military.

"Do we trust this commitment? For now. We realise that President Barack Obama, for domestic reasons, wants to avoid war with Syria," Muallem said.

"But we do not know how Obama will act under mounting pressure, and the pressure will only increase if the Republicans achieve a majority in the US mid-term elections, so we have to prepare ourselves."

The interview was conducted before Tuesday's US elections, which saw the Republicans regain control of Congress.

Muallem said Damascus had "bluntly" explained its concerns to Moscow, asking them to "provide us with advanced weapons".

He said delivery of S-300 anti-aircraft missiles was now "just around the corner".

S-300 batteries are advanced surface-to-air weapons that can take out aircraft or guided missiles.

Russia has remained a staunch ally of Assad throughout the conflict that began in March 2011, and the country's TASS news agency reported Thursday that Muallem would visit Moscow later this month.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





TERROR WARS
India pulls warships from Kolkata as city on 'terror' alert
Kolkata (AFP) Nov 04, 2014
India's navy on Tuesday withdrew two warships from Kolkata's port, a spokesman said, as the eastern city was placed on high alert for a possible "terror" attack. The navy said the ships had withdrawn for "prior operational reasons", although a port official indicated they had been due to take part in an exhibition on Wednesday. "They had come there as part of preparations for the navy we ... read more


TERROR WARS
New process transforms wood, crop waste into valuable chemicals

Engineered bacteria pumps out higher quantity of renewable fuel

Boosting Biogasoline Production in Microbes

Molecular movement within mesoporous nanoparticles modeled

TERROR WARS
Hybrid fluid transmission enables light and swift robotic arms

Projecting a robot's intentions

Google teams with Oxford to teach machines to think

Japan toymaker unveils tiny talking, singing humanoid

TERROR WARS
Second stage of Snowtown Wind Farm blows away the competition

Leaders Discuss Wind Power in Canada's Energy Future

Wind power a key player in Quebec's energy strategy

British study raises questions about wind energy reliability

TERROR WARS
Electric car revs to world record in Switzerland

Hyundai, Kia to pay $100 million over fuel economy suit

Toyota racing to record profit, but China flashing red signal

Dongfeng, Huawei partner for Internet-enabled cars

TERROR WARS
Australia PM defends coal after UN warning on climate

A new generation of storage ring

Chinese power companies pursue smart grids

Helping general electric upgrade the US power grid

TERROR WARS
Drones spotted over seven French nuclear sites, says EDF

More drones spotted over French nuclear power stations

Germany faces suits worth billions over nuclear phase-out

French nuclear plant hit by another mystery drone fly-over

TERROR WARS
Limiting short-lived pollutants cannot buy time on CO2 mitigation

British electric grid may shut factories if strained in winter

Climate: EU set for 24% emissions cut by 2020

Durable foul-release coatings control invasive mussel attachment

TERROR WARS
Groundwater patches play important role in forest health, water quality

Forests lose essential nitrogen in surprising way

Brazil scientist blames logging for extreme drought

Gardeners of Madagascar rainforest at risk




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.