Solar Energy News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
U.S. condemns Houthis' detention of U.N. workers in Yemen
U.S. condemns Houthis' detention of U.N. workers in Yemen
by Darryl Coote
Washington DC (UPI) Jun 12, 2024

The United States "strongly condemns" the Houthis' recent detention of more than a dozen United Nations workers, the State Department said Wednesday.

A total of 13 Yemeni employees of United Nations agencies have been detained over the last week by the Iran proxy militia that has been attacking vessels transiting the Red Sea in the Gulf of Aden amid Israel's war against another Tehran-backed group, Hamas, in Gaza.

The United Nations has identified the detained employees as six workers from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, two from UNESCO and one each from the U.N. Development Program, U.N. Children's Fund, the World Food Program, World Health Organization and the Office of the Special Envoy.

At least 11 civil society workers were also arrested, it said.

The Houthis have claimed that the detained were part of "an American-Israeli spy network" that has operated in the country for decades.

Maj. Gen. Abdel Hakim Al Khaiwani said in a televised address carried by Houthi Al Masirah media on Monday that the spy network had operated from the American embassy until it closed in 2015. After which "the elements of the espionage network continued to implement the same sabotage agenda under the cover of international organizations."

State Department spokesman Matthew Miller rejected the accusations, saying in a statement Wednesday that the Houthis "are seeking to use disinformation to shift blame to the United States and other outside actors for their own failures."

"These Houthi actions reflect a blatant disregard for the dignity of the Yemeni people and individuals who -- contrary to the Houthis' lies -- have dedicated themselves to their country's betterment," he said.

"Their efforts stand in stark contrast to the actions of the Houthis who have held them without justification for more than two-and-a-half years."

The United Nations has said that it is working to secure the immediate release of their detained personnel, with its secretary-general, Antonio Guterres condemning all arbitrary detention of civilians.

"I demand the immediate and unconditional release of all detained U.N. personnel," he said Tuesday in a statement.

Yemen has been submerged in civil war since 2014 when the Houthis seized the capital of Sana'a. Since then, the Houthis have been fighting the internationally recognized government of Yemen and the Saudi-led coalition forces.

It has turned its attentions to Israel as the Middle Eastern country wages war against Hamas, attacking military and shipping vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. The militia says the attacks are in solidarity with the Palestinian people.

Human Rights Watch states that the Houthis have "disappeared, arbitrarily detained and torture" hundreds of civilians, including U.N. and nongovernmental agency workers, since the start of the conflict.

"The Houthis should immediately release any U.N. employees and workers for other independent groups they have detained because of their human rights and humanitarian work and stop arbitrarily detaining and forcibly disappearing people," Niku Jafarnia, a Yemen and Bahrain researcher at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

"Such detentions not only attack the rights of these individuals but also undermine essential humanitarian and human rights work in Yemen at a time when the majority of Yemenis do not have adequate access to basic necessities like food and water."

The United Nations said Tuesday that the Houthis detained four additional U.N. staff members between 2021 and 2023 who have been held incommunicado.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
In shadow of war, Lebanese find respite on southern beach
Tyre, Lebanon (AFP) June 12, 2024
After the roar of Israeli warplanes terrified her baby grandson, Umm Hassan's family sought solace on a south Lebanon beach, hoping to escape the escalating cross-border violence. Life goes on but "the children are frightened", the 60-year-old told AFP from the beach in Tyre, about 20 kilometres (12.4 miles) from the Israel-Lebanon frontier. Women in two-piece swimsuits tanned in the sun, while others fully clothed and wearing head coverings enjoyed the waves, even as the bombardment sometimes e ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Sky's the limit for biofuels

Sustainable Aviation Fuel Reduces Non-CO2 Emissions

Vast Gets Approval for Solar Methanol Plant in Port Augusta

Singapore shipper claims milestone with bio-methanol refuelling

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ChatGPT a mentor for Japan's 89-year-old app developer

Google to test AI phone theft features in Brazil

Elon Musk drops lawsuit against OpenAI and Sam Altman

'Selective' UAE courting US, not China, on AI: minister

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Why US offshore wind power is struggling - the good, the bad and the opportunity

Robots enhance wind turbine blade production at NREL

Offshore wind turbines may reduce nearby power output

Wind Energy Expansion Planned for China's Rural Areas

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China warns EU tariffs on EVs would 'harm' Europe's interests

China says 'reserves the right' to file WTO suit over EU car tariffs

Why are Chinese electric cars in EU crosshairs?

China's Evergrande EV ordered to repay $262mn subsidies, faces asset seizure

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
New approaches for perovskite-based ferroelectric ceramics in energy storage

Safer and Flexible Battery Developed for Wearable Tech

DOE Unveils Decadal Strategy for Fusion Energy

New turbulence transition discovered in fusion plasmas

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
High Assay Low-Enriched Uranium Fuel Poses Major Proliferation Threat

Sweden shortlists UK, US firms for new nuclear reactor

Bulgaria's nuclear plant starts to replace Russian fuel

IEEFA Australia responds to nuclear energy proposal

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Pakistan power crisis deepened by mountain tourism

Swiss approve law boosting renewable energy generation

Swiss vote on renewable energy plan for 2050 carbon neutrality

Swiss renewable energy battle moves to the ballots

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Carbon credits protecting forests use flawed calculations: study

'All Eyes on Papua' campaign generates interest in deforestation cases

Indian Islamic centre warns Muslims against felling trees

DR Congo capital hosts forest forum

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.