Solar Energy News  
CYBER WARS
US siblings under China exit ban head home after Huawei deal
by AFP Staff Writers
Shanghai (AFP) Sept 28, 2021

An American brother and sister barred from exiting China since 2018 in an apparent bid to pressure their father to return and face criminal allegations have finally left the country, Beijing and Washington confirmed on Tuesday.

Neither side gave a reason for the sudden lifting of a Chinese exit ban on Victor and Cynthia Liu, but the development could add to accusations in the United States that President Joe Biden's government was engaging in "hostage diplomacy" with China.

The siblings' release came shortly after the US Justice Department last Friday announced a deal to defer prosecution of felony fraud charges against Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.

"We welcome Cynthia and Victor Liu's return to the United States on Sunday," a state department spokesperson told AFP in an emailed statement, confirming they had returned to the US.

The spokesperson did not comment on the circumstances of their return.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson also confirmed they had departed.

Beijing said in 2018 that the siblings, along with their mother Sandra Han, were barred from leaving due to suspected "economic crimes".

The US-born Victor had been set to start his second year at Georgetown University while Cynthia was heading back to work with consulting firm McKinsey & Company, The New York Times reported at the time.

It quoted the siblings saying they were being prevented from leaving to compel their father, a former executive at a Chinese state-owned bank, to return to the country and face criminal charges.

Their mother was allegedly being held in a secret site known as a "black jail", the Times had reported.

Neither the State Department nor the Chinese foreign ministry gave updated details on Han's status.

"We oppose the use of coercive exit bans against people who are not themselves charged with crimes," the State spokesperson said.

"We will continue to advocate on behalf of all American citizens in the PRC subject to arbitrary detention and coercive exit bans."

Meng, the Chinese tech giant's chief financial officer, had been under house arrest since 2018 in Vancouver where she was arrested on a US extradition warrant.

Days later, China arrested two Canadians, former diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor.

All three returned to the respective countries at the weekend following the deal in Meng's case, prompting some US Republicans to allege Biden was "appeasing" China and encouraging further thuggish behaviour by trading in detainees.

The Biden administration has denied any link between the cases.

Current State Department guidance advises US citizens to "reconsider" travel to China due to the use of exit bans "without due process."

During a daily news briefing, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said Tuesday such accusations were an "absurd rumour" and accused the US of being the "originator of hostage diplomacy."

dma/rox/ssy

THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY


Related Links
Cyberwar - Internet Security News - Systems and Policy Issues


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


CYBER WARS
Lithuania advises against use of Chinese phones
Vilnius (AFP) Sept 22, 2021
Lithuania's defence ministry on Wednesday said public institutions and consumers should be wary of using Chinese phones, warning about possible security flaws and data leaks. The National Cyber Security Centre said it had found "cyber security risks" in Huawei and Xiaomi 5G models it analysed. "The risks we are speaking about are real," Deputy Defence Minister Margiris Abukevicius told AFP. The minister noted that around 200 public institutions in the Baltic state make use of Chinese-made de ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

CYBER WARS
S-92 helicopter completes first flight using biofuel

Researchers want to breed a sorghum variety that captures more carbon

UMD to create sustainable biofuels and bioplastics from food waste with DOE grant

Zeolites make for efficient production of pentanoic biofuels

CYBER WARS
NASA robots compete in DARPA's Subterranean Challenge Final

How robots can tell how clean is 'clean'

Elon Musk's Tesla Bot raises serious concerns - but probably not the ones you think

Actuator discovery outperforms existing technology

CYBER WARS
Large wind farms cause different effects for local and regional climates

How do wind turbines respond to winds, ground motion during earthquakes?

For golden eagles, habitat loss is main threat from wind farms

Wind turbines can be clustered while avoiding turbulent wakes of their neighbors

CYBER WARS
Swedish electric car maker Polestar plans $20-bn IPO

Shares in Evergrande EV unit plunge as cash dries up

Ford speeds to electric with $11.4 bn investment

Making self-driving cars safer through keener robot perception

CYBER WARS
A new solid-state battery surprises the researchers who created it

Now everyone can build battery-free electronic devices

Fabricating MgB2 superconductors using spark plasma sintering and pulse magnetization

Researchers develop new tool for analyzing large superconducting circuits

CYBER WARS
Polish copper giant signs deal with US firm for small nuclear reactors

France's EDF in talks with GE to buy nuclear turbine ops

France pleads EU to see nuclear as Green

Seventh nuclear shipment to leave France for Japan

CYBER WARS
Johnson cautious over fulfilling UN climate fund pledges

UK firms urge govt to quicken shift from fossil fuels

UN redoubles green energy push to save climate, boost electricity

China power cuts hit homes, factories and threaten growth

CYBER WARS
US firefighters optimistic over world's biggest tree

Romania probes logger assault claim by filmmakers

Death stalks Colombian defenders of nature

Death stalks Colombian defenders of nature









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.