Solar Energy News  
THE STANS
'Uyghur Tribunal' hears allegations of rampant China abuses
By Callum PATON
London (AFP) June 4, 2021

A London panel investigating the plight of Uyghurs in China on Friday heard witness testimony of torture and gang rapes, in a process slammed by Beijing as a mendacious smear.

Witnesses described squalid conditions and brutality in camps in the northwestern Chinese region of Xinjiang, with one claiming a woman had died after undergoing forced sterilisation.

The nine UK-based jurors of the "Uyghur Tribunal", including lawyers and human rights experts, convened the first of two evidence sessions ahead of the intended publication of a report in December on whether China is guilty of genocide.

"Allegations made against the PRC (People's Republic of China) are grave," tribunal chair Geoffrey Nice said at the opening of the first four-day session, adding that they included numerous breaches of the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

The tribunal is not affiliated with any government, and China has refused to participate, branding it a "machine producing lies". Beijing has slapped sanctions on Nice, a former UN war crimes prosecutor, and others involved.

However, lawyers for the tribunal said the US and Australian governments had offered to provide relevant material, complementing thousands of pages of documentary evidence already compiled.

It was set up at the request of the World Uyghur Congress, the largest group representing exiled Uyghurs, which lobbies the international community to take action against China over alleged abuses in Xinjiang.

But Nice and his colleagues have vowed that the panel's work will be "impartial" and led by evidence.

- 'Cannot forget' -

Qelbinur Sidik, an ethnic-Uzbek teacher from Xinjiang's capital Urumqi, said she was ordered by Communist Party bosses to teach Chinese in two fetid and crowded "re-education" camps -- one male and one female -- for Uyghurs.

The so-called students were made to wear shackles during hours-long classes, she told the tribunal.

"The police, the guards in the camp, they didn't see the male prisoners as human beings," Sidik said. "They enjoyed watching them being humiliated and their suffering was for them their joy."

Female prisoners were allegedly abused when they were taken for interrogation. "They were not only tortured but also raped, sometimes gang-raped," Sidik said.

Forced sterilisation of Uyghur women was common and in one instance, a female prisoner died from the process, she added.

Sidik said she was also subjected to forced sterilisation before she was given a visa to visit her daughter in the Netherlands and fled China.

"The things that I have witnessed and I experienced, I cannot forget even for a day," she said. "I am a woman myself, I have a daughter. I don't wish anyone to suffer like that."

The tribunal also heard from Omir Bekali, a Kazakh national with Uyghur heritage, who was arrested when visiting family in Xinjiang on a visit from Kazakhstan.

At one point in his testimony he put on chains to show the panel how he had been held in a camp for over seven months.

"For the first four days and nights, I was tortured intensely," he said.

"I was hung from the ceiling," Bekali explained, adding that he was beaten all over his body and on the soles of his feet.

He said his father had been killed and his brother left disabled following torture. "My father died and my sister and brother were branded terrorists," he told the tribunal.

- 'Pseudo tribunal' -

Rights groups say up to one million Uyghurs and people from other ethnic-Turkic minorities are detained in internment camps in Xinjiang.

The allegations heard at the tribunal are consistent with many other accounts emanating from the camps, leading the US government to declare that a genocide is underway.

But China insists they are for the educational improvement of Xinjiang residents, to deter extremism and boost incomes.

"This pseudo tribunal has nothing to do with the law. It is embezzling the name of a 'tribunal' to engage in anti-China politics," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Thursday.

"This so-called tribunal has also entangled a group of people whose opposition to China is their profession and livelihood," he added, noting the backing of the World Uyghur Congress.

Dolkun Isa, the president of the Congress who was granted asylum in Germany, also addressed the panel.

"Because of my activities abroad my whole family have faced monitoring and harassment," he said.

"I have no idea how many of my family members are in concentration camps or detention and how many are alive."


Related Links
News From Across The Stans


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


THE STANS
'Uyghur Tribunal' to convene over abuses as China fumes
London (AFP) June 4, 2021
A panel of UK-based lawyers and rights experts investigating the plight of Uyghurs in China will begin hearing evidence from witnesses on Friday, as Beijing branded it a "machine producing lies". The "Uyghur Tribunal" says its nine jurors will hear first-hand testimony of alleged crimes in the northwestern Chinese region of Xinjiang, including forced sterilisation, torture, disappearances and slave labour. The organisation, which has no state backing, plans to use the London hearings to issue a ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

THE STANS
Solar energy-driven sustainable process for synthesis of ethylene glycol from methanol

Environmental concerns propel research into marine biofuels

First test of tropical seaweed farming for biofuels production begins off Puerto Rico

Transforming CO2 into light-emitting carbon

THE STANS
Slender robotic finger senses buried items

Enabling human control of autonomous partners

Air Force unveils exoskeleton to aid aerial ports in lifting

Helping robots collaborate to get the job done

THE STANS
US to open California coast to wind power

US approves its biggest offshore wind farm yet

Vertical turbines could be the future for wind farms

Researchers working to further develop monopile production for offshore wind farms

THE STANS
Former boss to pay Volkswagen record sum over Dieselgate

Tesla scraps plan for ultra-luxe Plaid+ model

Dangerously trending: driverless Tesla videos on social media

Uber's British union deal gets mixed reception

THE STANS
Engineers design battery to power flying cars

Compound commonly found in candles lights the way to grid-scale energy storage

China's artificial sun brings nuclear fusion energy closer

Highview Power Developing 2 GWh of Liquid Air Long Duration Energy Storage Projects in Spain

THE STANS
EDF Energy begins closure of British nuclear plant

Framatome acquires Valinox, a tube specialist for nuclear reactor steam generators

Framatome achieves milestone in robotics project for dismantling and decommissioning

Putin, Xi hail ties at launch of work on nuclear plants in China

THE STANS
Putin orders govt to have emissions reduction plan by October

G7 steps towards making companies disclose climate risks

Powell, Lagarde split over central bank role in climate policy

Yellen calls for standardized measurements on green investments

THE STANS
Brazilian Amazon deforestation hits record for May

Brazil leader promises Yanomami no unwanted mining on their lands

Brazil environment minister probed for timber trafficking

Ethiopia's Abiy kicks off massive tree-planting drive









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.