Solar Energy News
WAR REPORT
Violence flares around Gaza after deadly Israeli West Bank raid
Violence flares around Gaza after deadly Israeli West Bank raid
By Adel Zaanoun with Imad Saada in Nablus
Gaza City, Palestinian Territories (AFP) Feb 23, 2023

Israel launched air strikes on Gaza targets in return for rocket fire from the Palestinian enclave Thursday, a day after the deadliest Israeli army raid in the occupied West Bank in nearly 20 years.

Eleven Palestinians, including a 16-year-old, were killed and more than 80 wounded in a gun battle on Wednesday after Israeli troops raided the city of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.

The death toll was the highest since the second Palestinian intifada, or uprising, ended in 2005.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who heads a new coalition government regarded as the most right-wing in Israel's history, praised Israeli forces and vowed to "hit terrorism hard" after the army said it targeted suspected militants in Nablus.

The United States said it was "extremely concerned by the levels of violence" and called for a de-escalation, as did the United Nations.

Before dawn on Thursday, Palestinian militants fired rockets from Gaza at Israel, prompting air strikes by the army on multiple sites in the coastal enclave.

Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the rockets, after saying one of its commanders was killed in the Nablus raid.

The Israeli army said it intercepted five rockets, while a sixth struck an uninhabited area.

Two hours later Israeli air strikes targeted a "weapons factory" and a "military camp" run by Gaza's Islamist rulers Hamas, the army said, sending plumes of black smoke into the sky.

Following the cross-border fire, Netanyahu warned: "whoever tries to attack us will pay the price".

Tensions were still high in the evening. By the border fence in northern Gaza, dozens of men protested, waving Palestinian flags and burning tyres in support of the people of Nablus, where frequent clashes between Israeli troops and Palestinian militants have occurred in recent months.

"The upcoming days will be hot, and we will not sit idly by," protester Mohammed Ahmed, his head wrapped in a keffiyeh, told AFP.

- 'War zone' -

UN rights chief Volker Turk said he was "deeply concerned" over the deaths and injuries in the Nablus operation, "and by airstrikes and rocket attacks between Israel and Palestinian armed groups in the Gaza Strip." In a statement relayed by his office, Turk also suggested Israel showed "disregard for the lives and security of bystanders" in Nablus.

The army said Wednesday's raid targeted three suspects implicated in shootings in the West Bank, occupied by Israel since the 1967 Six-Day War. An estimated 475,000 Jewish settlers live in the territory, alongside about 2.9 million Palestinians, in communities considered illegal under international law.

Israel's new government earlier this month said it would legalise nine settlements in the occupied West Bank following a series of attacks in east Jerusalem.

The latest violence comes on top of unrest last year which was the deadliest in the West Bank since the United Nations started tracking casualties in 2005.

Hours after the Nablus raid, the ministry announced the death of Anan Ennab, 66, from tear gas inhalation.

He had been in the market when the Israeli incursion began, his brother Allam Ennab said Thursday.

"What happened yesterday in Nablus was a real massacre, like I've never seen before," the 68-year-old told AFP.

Palestinian health officials said 82 people were hospitalised for gunshot wounds. The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said its medics also treated 250 cases of tear gas inhalation.

- General strike -

Talaat Ziada, the head of the intensive care unit in Nablus's Rafidia hospital, said his youngest patient was an 11-year-old boy.

"It was a war zone in the Old City, and it was also a war zone here," he told AFP.

"The corridors and stairs were covered in blood, and people were scrambling to check on their relatives."

Palestinian shops were closed on Thursday in annexed east Jerusalem and elsewhere in the West Bank, including Nablus, after a general strike call to protest the violence.

Mahde Salim, the uncle of Hossam Salim who was one of men killed, said his nephew used to be a bulldozer driver and had worked in an Israeli settlement.

"But he left work there and joined the resistance fighters," he told AFP.

The Palestinian health ministry announced Thursday a 30-year-old man died from his wounds, after being shot earlier this month by Israeli forces in Jenin.

Since the start of this year, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has claimed the lives of 61 Palestinian adults and children, including militants and civilians.

Nine Israeli civilians, including three children, a police officer and one Ukrainian civilian have been killed over the same period, according to an AFP tally based on official sources from both sides.

burs-jjm/it

Related Links
Space War News

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
WAR REPORT
On EU, Ukraine borders, Belarus special forces are 'ready'
Brest, Belarus (AFP) Feb 22, 2023
In reclusive Belarus, just a few kilometres from the EU frontier, special forces in the army of Kremlin ally Alexander Lukashenko are simulating forest combat while paratroopers nearby practise jumping from aircraft. The strongman has ruled his ex-Soviet country with an iron fist for nearly three decades and for years flirted with the West before backing Russia's intervention in Ukraine last year. He allowed the Kremlin to use his country as a launching pad for its military operation against Kyi ... read more

WAR REPORT
Cow manure fuels French tractors

How a record-breaking copper catalyst converts CO2 into liquid fuels

Biogas produced with waste from apple juice making can minimize use of fossil fuels in industry

Biorefinery uses microbial fuel cell to upcycle resistant plant waste

WAR REPORT
Tech rivals chase ChatGPT as AI race ramps up

OffWorld Europe makes its debut in Luxembourg developing space mining robots

ChatGPT sparks AI 'gold rush' in Silicon Valley

Angry Bing chatbot just mimicking humans, say experts

WAR REPORT
Machine learning could help kites and gliders to harvest wind energy

Polish MPs vote to make building wind turbines easier

New research shows porpoises not harmed by offshore windfarms

UH professor developing new technologies to improve safety, resiliency of offshore energy systems

WAR REPORT
Musk eyes torrid growth at Tesla, but offers no big new reveals

Ford halts output of F-150 Lightning through at least next week

White House unveils deal with Musk on EV chargers

German court dismisses Greenpeace's case against Volkswagen

WAR REPORT
On the road to better solid-state batteries

China probes mining practices in 'lithium capital of Asia'

Salt could play key role in energy transition

The race to develop the battery of the future

WAR REPORT
Eleven EU states unite to strengthen nuclear power

Czechs plan small nuclear reactor in 2032 to boost energy supply

Using combustion to make better batteries

Preparing students for the new nuclear

WAR REPORT
Italy deficit balloons on green homes scheme

Massive power cut plunges Argentina into dark for hours

How Italy's generous green homes scheme turned 'wicked'

All who can should pay even for their basic greenhouse gas emissions

WAR REPORT
Tree count in Africa drylands could improve conservation: study

War-weary Yemenis fell trees for fuel, cash

Engineered wood grows stronger while trapping carbon dioxide

Fighting for their lives: the world's forests in figures

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.